Feb 19, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: No. 11 Creighton at Marquette, 8:00 p.m.
Marquette paid a visit to Omaha in Creighton’s first game as a member of the Big East, and they got smacked about by the Bluejays. The Golden Eagles have gone on to have a fairly-disappointing 2013-2014 campaign, but a recent hot streak has gotten them back into the NCAA tournament conversation. A win over Creighton would go a long way to ensuring that Buzz Williams’ guys aren’t doomed to the NIT.
THE OTHER GAME OF THE DAY: No. 23 UCLA at Cal, 10:30 p.m.
UCLA now looks like they’ve inherited the title of the second best team in the Pac-12, but every time a team takes over that title, they end up struggling. Kyle Anderson is quietly having one of the best seasons of anyone in the country, averaging 15.4 points 8.7 boards and 6.8 assists. How come no one is talking about this guy?
WHO’S GETTING UPSET?: No. 4 Arizona at Utah, 10:00 p.m.
Arizona is, quite simply, not the same team without Brandon Ashley. That much is obvious. Utah is a tough out this season, and playing at the altitude is never an easy thing to do. Also worth noting: Delon Wright might be the best player in the country that no one is talking about. He could end up being a first round NBA Draft pick before his career is over.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH FOR:
1) No. 10 Saint Louis will visit George Mason tonight. The Patriots almost beat the Billikens in Saint Louis earlier this season. The game will be on the NBC Sports Network at 7:00 p.m.
2) Arizona State will be at Colorado tonight in a game that features two of the Pac-12’s hopeful tournament teams.
3) New Mexico and UNLV will square off tonight in a battle to determine who the second-best team in the Mountain West is. After a sluggish start, the Rebels have a glimmer of NCAA tournament hope. They can’t afford another loss, however.
4) No. 3 Wichita State will put their undefeated record on the line tonight at Loyola (IL).
5) No. 1 Syracuse will do the same as they host BC
- Auburn at No. 2 Florida, 7:00 p.m.
- No. 7 Cincinnat at UCF, 7:00 p.m.
- Northwestern at No. 24 Ohio State, 7:00 p.m.
- American at Boston U., 7:00 p.m.
- Houston at SMU, 8:00 p.m.
- Mississippi State at LSU, 8:00 p.m.
- Vanderbilt at Missouri, 8:00 p.m.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)