Feb 20, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
A Division II basketball game ended in a tie on Wednesday night.
Javan Wells of Winston-Salem State, a Division II school in North Carolina, put back a missed three to tie the game with 0.3 seconds left on the clock. On the ensuing in-bounds, Joshua Linton of Johnson C. Smith fired a full-court shot that drilled a light fixture in the gym.
“It wasn’t about it being dark,” Winston-Salem State coach Bobby Collins told ESPN shortly after the game. “The lightbulbs were knocked out of the socket and hanging by a safety chain.”
“We didn’t know how long the chains would last,” assistant coach Mark Sherill said. “The Winston-Salem coach agreed it didn’t look safe. I’ve been in basketball a long time; this is the first time I’ve ever had a draw.”
Broken light at Brayboy pic.twitter.com/O4hSWzeBYL
— John Dell (@johndellWSJ) February 20, 2014
Calling the game a tie was the right decision. If that light fixture landed on the head of one of the players during the overtime period, it would not have been a good thing.
The teams are decision whether or not to try to play the overtime at a neutral location.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)