Feb 20, 2014, 4:32 AM EDT
GAME OF THE NIGHT: Boston College 62, No. 1 Syracuse 59 (OT)
With a game at No. 5 Duke on Saturday night, many expected No. 1 Syracuse to take care of a struggling Boston College squad and move to 26-0. But the Eagles had other ideas, shooting 11-for-22 from three on their way to a stunning win at the Carrier Dome. The issue for Syracuse was their shooting, as they shot just 32% from the field for the game. Also of note is the fact that Syracuse and Virginia are tied in the loss column atop the ACC as result of the Orange’s first loss.
1) No. 4 Arizona 67, Utah 63 (OT)
Utah needed a resume-building victory but they were unable to get it, losing by four in overtime with foul shooting and turnovers being the biggest reasons why. Utah shot 13-for-22 from the foul line and committed 16 turnovers, which were converted into 16 second-chance points by the Wildcats. Add in Jordan Loveridge shooting 1-for-12 and Delon Wright turning the ball over six times, and the end result is Arizona bouncing back from its loss at Arizona State on Friday night.
With Syracuse losing there’s just one remaining undefeated team in college basketball: Wichita State. The Shockers moved to 28-0 with Fred Van Vleet accounting for 22 points, eight rebounds and six assists. Wichita State plays two of its final three regular season games at home, with Missouri State being the strongest of the three.
3) No. 2 Florida 71, Auburn 66
Like Syracuse the Gators struggled at home against a team they were expected to beat. Unlike the Orange, Florida took care of business in the end with a little help from the visiting Tigers. Auburn committed a critical turnover late in regulation, and those mistakes cost Tony Barbee a win that would have done wonders for his program. Patric Young led the Gators with 17 points, nine rebounds and three assists.
1) D.J. Covington (VMI)
Covington scored 33 points and grabbed eight rebounds in the Keydets’ 84-81 win over Campbell.
2) Jordan Adams (UCLA)
28 points, six rebounds, five assists and five steals in the 23rd-ranked Bruins’ 86-66 wins at California.
3) Javon McCrea (Buffalo)
McCrea finished the Bulls’ 96-90 home win over Akron two assists short of a triple-double, finishing the game with 20 points, 13 rebounds and eight assists.
1) Jordan Loveridge (Utah)
Shot 1-for-12 from the field in the Utes’ 67-63 overtime loss to No. 4 Arizona.
2) Tyrone Wallace (California)
Five points on 1-for-9 shooting in Cal’s 86-66 loss to UCLA.
3) Malik Smith (Minnesota)
Went scoreless in Minnesota’s 62-49 loss to Illinois, shooting 0-for-7 from the field.
- No. 11 Creighton retained sole possession of first place in the Big East, beating Marquette 85-70. Doug McDermott scored 25 points and Ethan Wragge added 22 for the Bluejays.
- Boston University extended its lead in the Patriot League to two games with a 71-62 win over American in Boston.
- Davon Usher and Devon Saddler combined to score 51 points in Delaware’s 81-77 win at Hofstra, moving the Blue Hens to 12-1 in the CAA.
- Langston Galloway shot 2-for-12 from the field but Ronald Roberts Jr. scored 17 points to lead Saint Joseph’s to a 57-54 win at Rhode Island.
- Jordan Clarkson led Missouri to a 67-64 win over Vanderbilt with 21 points and five assists.
- Kendall Williams scored 29 points and grabbed seven rebounds in New Mexico’s 68-56 win at UNLV, avenging a loss to the Runnin’ Rebels last month.
- Jordair Jett scored 25 points to lead five players in double figures as No. 10 Saint Louis beat George Mason in overtime, 89-85.
THE REST OF THE TOP 25
- No. 7 Cincinnati 77, UCF 49
- No. 23 UCLA 86, California 66
- No. 24 Ohio State 76, Northwestern 60
Apr 21, 2014, 12:09 AM EDT
In need of some bodies in the front court, Eastern Michigan has reportedly added one in the form of George Mason transfer Anali Okoloji.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT
Late Sunday Vanderbilt landed its first commitment in the 2015 class, with shooting guard Camron Justice announcing his pledge via Twitter.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
USF lost two more players Saturday as guards Javontae Hawkins and Musa Abdul-Aleem decided to transfer.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
UConn guard Ryan Boatright is still weighing whether or not to enter the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
The 62nd annual Portsmouth Invitational Tournament wrapped up Saturday night, with former Marquette big man Davante Gardner winning MVP honors.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Houston landed a second junior college transfer Sunday, with Howard College product Eric Weary announcing his decision to commit to the program.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
More than three years later, Nick Resavy is still making ridiculous shots.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
The electrifying point guard has put his name into the NBA draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
The Harrison twins are halfway through deciding on returning to Lexington or declaring for the NBA draft.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Garrett becomes the fourth member of the Crimson Tide’s incoming class.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
The Cougars landed a former top 100 recruit on Sunday morning.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Just over a week after his appeal to be released from his scholarship at Marshall was granted, Kareem Canty’s decided to transfer to Auburn.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Watch the incoming class showcase their talents in Brooklyn on Friday night.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:58 AM EDT
According to a report, Louisiana Tech’s Michael White is the focus of Tennessee’s search for a new head coach.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
A Kentucky fan promised to get a tattoo of Willie Cauley-Stein if the 7-footer returned to Lexington for his junior season. Saturday, Michael Gray followed through.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
UNLV has added another player to its 2014 recruiting class, as shooting guard Patrick McCaw verbally committed to the Mountain West program.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Arizona State has made another addition to its roster, landing a commitment from former UNLV forward Savon Goodman.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Forward Zach LeDay has decided to leave the USF program after spending two seasons in Tampa.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
New Florida A&M AD Kellen Winslow Sr. has already decided that the basketball program needs a new leader, as head coach Clemon Johnson was relieved of his duties Friday.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Will highly-touted Colombian center Tonny Trocha-Morelos finally be joining the Texas A&M program?
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (17)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)