Feb 20, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
No. 10 Saint Louis has been the class of the Atlantic 10 this season, but for some reason the George Mason Patriots have given them a hard time. The Patriots took the Billikens to overtime in the first meeting before falling in St. Louis, and the same thing happened on Wednesday night in Fairfax. SLU won 89-85 in overtime, with a Jordair Jett free throw with nine tenths of a second remaining forcing the extra session.
All five starters scored in double figures for the Billikens with Jett finishing the game with 25 points, while Sherrod Wright scored 34 to lead the way for George Mason. Paul Hewitt’s Patriots scored 42 points in the paint, but the 23 points Saint Louis was able to score off of 14 George Mason turnovers eventually caught up to the home team. SLU’s now won 18 straight games, extending the longest such streak in school history, and they remain three games up in the loss column atop the Atlantic 10.
At this stage in the season the Billikens find themselves not only looking to win the Atlantic 10, but also in the race to earn a high seed in the NCAA tournament. And with the Scottrade Center in St. Louis hosting games on the first weekend, a hot finish to the season could result in the Billikens having the benefit of opening the NCAA tournament in their home city.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 9
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 17
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (17)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)