Feb 20, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
No. 10 Saint Louis has been the class of the Atlantic 10 this season, but for some reason the George Mason Patriots have given them a hard time. The Patriots took the Billikens to overtime in the first meeting before falling in St. Louis, and the same thing happened on Wednesday night in Fairfax. SLU won 89-85 in overtime, with a Jordair Jett free throw with nine tenths of a second remaining forcing the extra session.
All five starters scored in double figures for the Billikens with Jett finishing the game with 25 points, while Sherrod Wright scored 34 to lead the way for George Mason. Paul Hewitt’s Patriots scored 42 points in the paint, but the 23 points Saint Louis was able to score off of 14 George Mason turnovers eventually caught up to the home team. SLU’s now won 18 straight games, extending the longest such streak in school history, and they remain three games up in the loss column atop the Atlantic 10.
At this stage in the season the Billikens find themselves not only looking to win the Atlantic 10, but also in the race to earn a high seed in the NCAA tournament. And with the Scottrade Center in St. Louis hosting games on the first weekend, a hot finish to the season could result in the Billikens having the benefit of opening the NCAA tournament in their home city.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)