Feb 21, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
Kansas signee Cliff Alexander is one of the nation’s most talented interior prospects, with his physical strength and athleticism making the Chicago native an incredibly difficult matchup for most opponents. Ball is Life released a midseason highlight video of Alexander, who attends Curie HS, in action and the timing couldn’t be better.
Why? Curie takes on Whitney Young HS tonight for the Chicago Public League title, meaning that Alexander will face Duke signee (and Mac Irvin Fire teammate) Jahlil Okafor. The game tips off at 7:00 p.m. CST and will be played at Chicago State University, and these two big men won’t be the only high-major prospects on display. One of Okafor’s teammates is 6-foot-8 forward Paul White, who’s headed to Georgetown next season.
To say that this game is anticipated would be an understatement, and it’s a matchup that very nearly did not materialize. Both teams won close semifinal match-ups, with Curie beating Hyde Park 58-56 and Whitney Young needing to erase a 15-point halftime deficit in their 55-53 victory over Orr HS.
The two teams met in last season’s Illinois sectional playoffs, with Whitney Young winning 62-58. With a win Friday night Whitney Young would earn its second consecutive Chicago Public League title.
Video credit: Ball is Life Midwest
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 12
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 6
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 10
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 2
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 (17)