Feb 21, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
Kansas signee Cliff Alexander is one of the nation’s most talented interior prospects, with his physical strength and athleticism making the Chicago native an incredibly difficult matchup for most opponents. Ball is Life released a midseason highlight video of Alexander, who attends Curie HS, in action and the timing couldn’t be better.
Why? Curie takes on Whitney Young HS tonight for the Chicago Public League title, meaning that Alexander will face Duke signee (and Mac Irvin Fire teammate) Jahlil Okafor. The game tips off at 7:00 p.m. CST and will be played at Chicago State University, and these two big men won’t be the only high-major prospects on display. One of Okafor’s teammates is 6-foot-8 forward Paul White, who’s headed to Georgetown next season.
To say that this game is anticipated would be an understatement, and it’s a matchup that very nearly did not materialize. Both teams won close semifinal match-ups, with Curie beating Hyde Park 58-56 and Whitney Young needing to erase a 15-point halftime deficit in their 55-53 victory over Orr HS.
The two teams met in last season’s Illinois sectional playoffs, with Whitney Young winning 62-58. With a win Friday night Whitney Young would earn its second consecutive Chicago Public League title.
Video credit: Ball is Life Midwest
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)