Feb 21, 2014, 1:46 PM EST
Kansas signee Cliff Alexander is one of the nation’s most talented interior prospects, with his physical strength and athleticism making the Chicago native an incredibly difficult matchup for most opponents. Ball is Life released a midseason highlight video of Alexander, who attends Curie HS, in action and the timing couldn’t be better.
Why? Curie takes on Whitney Young HS tonight for the Chicago Public League title, meaning that Alexander will face Duke signee (and Mac Irvin Fire teammate) Jahlil Okafor. The game tips off at 7:00 p.m. CST and will be played at Chicago State University, and these two big men won’t be the only high-major prospects on display. One of Okafor’s teammates is 6-foot-8 forward Paul White, who’s headed to Georgetown next season.
To say that this game is anticipated would be an understatement, and it’s a matchup that very nearly did not materialize. Both teams won close semifinal match-ups, with Curie beating Hyde Park 58-56 and Whitney Young needing to erase a 15-point halftime deficit in their 55-53 victory over Orr HS.
The two teams met in last season’s Illinois sectional playoffs, with Whitney Young winning 62-58. With a win Friday night Whitney Young would earn its second consecutive Chicago Public League title.
Video credit: Ball is Life Midwest
- Late Night Snacks: Temple blows out Kansas, Purdue loses to Gardner-Webb 0
- Temple embarrasses No. 10 Kansas by 25 points 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 2
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)