Feb 21, 2014, 1:46 PM EST
Kansas signee Cliff Alexander is one of the nation’s most talented interior prospects, with his physical strength and athleticism making the Chicago native an incredibly difficult matchup for most opponents. Ball is Life released a midseason highlight video of Alexander, who attends Curie HS, in action and the timing couldn’t be better.
Why? Curie takes on Whitney Young HS tonight for the Chicago Public League title, meaning that Alexander will face Duke signee (and Mac Irvin Fire teammate) Jahlil Okafor. The game tips off at 7:00 p.m. CST and will be played at Chicago State University, and these two big men won’t be the only high-major prospects on display. One of Okafor’s teammates is 6-foot-8 forward Paul White, who’s headed to Georgetown next season.
To say that this game is anticipated would be an understatement, and it’s a matchup that very nearly did not materialize. Both teams won close semifinal match-ups, with Curie beating Hyde Park 58-56 and Whitney Young needing to erase a 15-point halftime deficit in their 55-53 victory over Orr HS.
The two teams met in last season’s Illinois sectional playoffs, with Whitney Young winning 62-58. With a win Friday night Whitney Young would earn its second consecutive Chicago Public League title.
Video credit: Ball is Life Midwest
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)