Feb 21, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
Kansas signee Cliff Alexander is one of the nation’s most talented interior prospects, with his physical strength and athleticism making the Chicago native an incredibly difficult matchup for most opponents. Ball is Life released a midseason highlight video of Alexander, who attends Curie HS, in action and the timing couldn’t be better.
Why? Curie takes on Whitney Young HS tonight for the Chicago Public League title, meaning that Alexander will face Duke signee (and Mac Irvin Fire teammate) Jahlil Okafor. The game tips off at 7:00 p.m. CST and will be played at Chicago State University, and these two big men won’t be the only high-major prospects on display. One of Okafor’s teammates is 6-foot-8 forward Paul White, who’s headed to Georgetown next season.
To say that this game is anticipated would be an understatement, and it’s a matchup that very nearly did not materialize. Both teams won close semifinal match-ups, with Curie beating Hyde Park 58-56 and Whitney Young needing to erase a 15-point halftime deficit in their 55-53 victory over Orr HS.
The two teams met in last season’s Illinois sectional playoffs, with Whitney Young winning 62-58. With a win Friday night Whitney Young would earn its second consecutive Chicago Public League title.
Video credit: Ball is Life Midwest
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)