Feb 22, 2014, 9:08 PM EST
Jim Boeheim got his first introduction to ACC refs on Saturday night during No. 1 Syracuse’s 66-60 loss to No. 5 Duke.
The Syracuse head coach got ejected for the first time in the regular season after he lost it on referee Tony Greene for a charge that was called on C.J. Fair with 10.4 seconds left in the game.
To set the scene: earlier in the second half, Michael Gbinije had taken what looked like a clear charge on Jabari Parker, but was whistled for a block and Parker was given an and-one. With a minute left in the game, Rakeem Christmas was fouled as he threw down a dunk. The free throw would have allowed Syracuse a shot at tying the game. Nothing was called.
And then there was the final play.
You make the call: Was it a charge? Boeheim didn’t think so.
“I thought that was the worst call of the year,” Boeheim said after the game, saying that he won’t regret his reaction “today, tomorrow or next week”.
“I just hate to see the game decided on that call. That’s all.”
Back to Boeheim for a moment: He had a right to react the way that he did to the call, but it was the reaction that cost his team the game. The two technicals fouls that he received gave the Blue Devils four free throws. Without the reaction, Duke has the ball out of bounds with 10.4 seconds left up two. That’s still winnable for the Orange, particularly with the way that Duke was shooting free throws.
But I don’t think Boeheim cared at that point.
He wanted to get tossed.
Welcome to the ACC, Jim.
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)