Feb 22, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Jim Boeheim got his first introduction to ACC refs on Saturday night during No. 1 Syracuse’s 66-60 loss to No. 5 Duke.
The Syracuse head coach got ejected for the first time in the regular season after he lost it on referee Tony Greene for a charge that was called on C.J. Fair with 10.4 seconds left in the game.
To set the scene: earlier in the second half, Michael Gbinije had taken what looked like a clear charge on Jabari Parker, but was whistled for a block and Parker was given an and-one. With a minute left in the game, Rakeem Christmas was fouled as he threw down a dunk. The free throw would have allowed Syracuse a shot at tying the game. Nothing was called.
And then there was the final play.
You make the call: Was it a charge? Boeheim didn’t think so.
“I thought that was the worst call of the year,” Boeheim said after the game, saying that he won’t regret his reaction “today, tomorrow or next week”.
“I just hate to see the game decided on that call. That’s all.”
Back to Boeheim for a moment: He had a right to react the way that he did to the call, but it was the reaction that cost his team the game. The two technicals fouls that he received gave the Blue Devils four free throws. Without the reaction, Duke has the ball out of bounds with 10.4 seconds left up two. That’s still winnable for the Orange, particularly with the way that Duke was shooting free throws.
But I don’t think Boeheim cared at that point.
He wanted to get tossed.
Welcome to the ACC, Jim.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)
- NCAA approves waiver to allow player with terminal cancer to play (1)