Feb 22, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
We have our first 29-0 team since Deron Williams was still a collegian.
On Saturday, No. 3 Wichita State got 21 points from Tekele Cotton and 15 points from Darius Carter off the bench as they steamrolled Drake, 83-54.
The Shockers cut down the nets after the win, because with just two games left in the regular season, WSU has already clinched the Missouri Valley title.
It’s the first time that anyone has been 29-0 since Illinois pulled off the feat in 2004-2005. That season was Bruce Weber’s first in Champaign, and he rode the talented back court of Luther Head, Deron Williams and Dee Brown to the national title game. Their first loss came in the final game of the regular season to Ohio State.
The Shockers are currently ranked No. 3 in the country, but with No. 2 Florida struggling in their two wins and No. 1 Syracuse taking two losses, don’t be surprised to see the Shockers get quite a few votes for No. 1 in the country on Monday morning.
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)