Feb 22, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
We have our first 29-0 team since Deron Williams was still a collegian.
On Saturday, No. 3 Wichita State got 21 points from Tekele Cotton and 15 points from Darius Carter off the bench as they steamrolled Drake, 83-54.
The Shockers cut down the nets after the win, because with just two games left in the regular season, WSU has already clinched the Missouri Valley title.
It’s the first time that anyone has been 29-0 since Illinois pulled off the feat in 2004-2005. That season was Bruce Weber’s first in Champaign, and he rode the talented back court of Luther Head, Deron Williams and Dee Brown to the national title game. Their first loss came in the final game of the regular season to Ohio State.
The Shockers are currently ranked No. 3 in the country, but with No. 2 Florida struggling in their two wins and No. 1 Syracuse taking two losses, don’t be surprised to see the Shockers get quite a few votes for No. 1 in the country on Monday morning.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1