Feb 22, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
We have our first 29-0 team since Deron Williams was still a collegian.
On Saturday, No. 3 Wichita State got 21 points from Tekele Cotton and 15 points from Darius Carter off the bench as they steamrolled Drake, 83-54.
The Shockers cut down the nets after the win, because with just two games left in the regular season, WSU has already clinched the Missouri Valley title.
It’s the first time that anyone has been 29-0 since Illinois pulled off the feat in 2004-2005. That season was Bruce Weber’s first in Champaign, and he rode the talented back court of Luther Head, Deron Williams and Dee Brown to the national title game. Their first loss came in the final game of the regular season to Ohio State.
The Shockers are currently ranked No. 3 in the country, but with No. 2 Florida struggling in their two wins and No. 1 Syracuse taking two losses, don’t be surprised to see the Shockers get quite a few votes for No. 1 in the country on Monday morning.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)