Feb 22, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
We have our first 29-0 team since Deron Williams was still a collegian.
On Saturday, No. 3 Wichita State got 21 points from Tekele Cotton and 15 points from Darius Carter off the bench as they steamrolled Drake, 83-54.
The Shockers cut down the nets after the win, because with just two games left in the regular season, WSU has already clinched the Missouri Valley title.
It’s the first time that anyone has been 29-0 since Illinois pulled off the feat in 2004-2005. That season was Bruce Weber’s first in Champaign, and he rode the talented back court of Luther Head, Deron Williams and Dee Brown to the national title game. Their first loss came in the final game of the regular season to Ohio State.
The Shockers are currently ranked No. 3 in the country, but with No. 2 Florida struggling in their two wins and No. 1 Syracuse taking two losses, don’t be surprised to see the Shockers get quite a few votes for No. 1 in the country on Monday morning.
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 1
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0