Feb 22, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
No. 3 Wichita State has the longest win streak in the country, as they’re now 29-0 after blowing out Drake. But who has the second-longest win streak in the nation? That would be Brad Underwood’s Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks, who have now won 22 games in a row.
And win number 22 (25th win overall) came in dramatic fashion, as Jacob Parker’s steal and dunk with three tenths of a second remaining gave the Lumberjacks a 70-68 win over Northwestern State. The Demons had Stephen F. Austin on the ropes for much of the game, shooting 57.8% from the field while limiting the Lumberjacks to 36.5%.
But turnovers proved to be an issue for Northwestern State, as they committed 21 with the Lumberjacks converting those miscues into 23 points. Stephen F. Austin’s now 14-0 in Southland play and has a three-game lead in the standings with four games remaining as a result of Saturday’s victory.
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 0
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 0
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)