Feb 23, 2014, 1:32 PM EDT
In case you were lacked television or Internet last night, you missed a controversial ending to a Syracuse-Duke game, which is becoming a theme in the new ACC rivalry.
With 10 seconds to play, C.J. Fair was called for an offensive foul and colliding with Rodney Hood. Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim was steaming over that call, which he believed was a block, and was ejected for his outburst toward the official. Since then, Internet memes have been made of the incident and the previously unbeaten Orange have lost two straight.
On Sunday morning, ESPN reported that the ACC will take no further action against the Syracuse coach following the Saturday night’s ejection.
It’s still an on-going debate as to whether it was a charge, or a block or whether or not Boeheim should have reacted the way he did, given that it was still a one-possession game with 10.4 second remaining.
Either way, Syracuse, which will lose its No. 1 spot on Monday, has dropped two consecutive games after rallying off 25 straight to begin the season, though Cuse had escaped in several close games leading up to this week. Now the Orange are in a position to not even finish in the top spot in the ACC standings.
Virginia is 14-1, a game and a half ahead of Cuse. The Cavaliers host the Orange on Saturday. Before Cuse travels to Charlottesville, it has to face Maryland on the road. Three of Syracuse’s four remaining games is on the road, concluding with a trip to Florida State on Mar. 9.
The Cavaliers, on the other hand, have had a mostly favorable schedule since leaving Pitt with a buzzer-beating victory on Feb. 2.
[h/t CBS Sports]
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)