Feb 23, 2014, 1:32 PM EDT
In case you were lacked television or Internet last night, you missed a controversial ending to a Syracuse-Duke game, which is becoming a theme in the new ACC rivalry.
With 10 seconds to play, C.J. Fair was called for an offensive foul and colliding with Rodney Hood. Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim was steaming over that call, which he believed was a block, and was ejected for his outburst toward the official. Since then, Internet memes have been made of the incident and the previously unbeaten Orange have lost two straight.
On Sunday morning, ESPN reported that the ACC will take no further action against the Syracuse coach following the Saturday night’s ejection.
It’s still an on-going debate as to whether it was a charge, or a block or whether or not Boeheim should have reacted the way he did, given that it was still a one-possession game with 10.4 second remaining.
Either way, Syracuse, which will lose its No. 1 spot on Monday, has dropped two consecutive games after rallying off 25 straight to begin the season, though Cuse had escaped in several close games leading up to this week. Now the Orange are in a position to not even finish in the top spot in the ACC standings.
Virginia is 14-1, a game and a half ahead of Cuse. The Cavaliers host the Orange on Saturday. Before Cuse travels to Charlottesville, it has to face Maryland on the road. Three of Syracuse’s four remaining games is on the road, concluding with a trip to Florida State on Mar. 9.
The Cavaliers, on the other hand, have had a mostly favorable schedule since leaving Pitt with a buzzer-beating victory on Feb. 2.
[h/t CBS Sports]
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 1
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 3
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)