Feb 23, 2014, 1:32 PM EST
In case you were lacked television or Internet last night, you missed a controversial ending to a Syracuse-Duke game, which is becoming a theme in the new ACC rivalry.
With 10 seconds to play, C.J. Fair was called for an offensive foul and colliding with Rodney Hood. Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim was steaming over that call, which he believed was a block, and was ejected for his outburst toward the official. Since then, Internet memes have been made of the incident and the previously unbeaten Orange have lost two straight.
On Sunday morning, ESPN reported that the ACC will take no further action against the Syracuse coach following the Saturday night’s ejection.
It’s still an on-going debate as to whether it was a charge, or a block or whether or not Boeheim should have reacted the way he did, given that it was still a one-possession game with 10.4 second remaining.
Either way, Syracuse, which will lose its No. 1 spot on Monday, has dropped two consecutive games after rallying off 25 straight to begin the season, though Cuse had escaped in several close games leading up to this week. Now the Orange are in a position to not even finish in the top spot in the ACC standings.
Virginia is 14-1, a game and a half ahead of Cuse. The Cavaliers host the Orange on Saturday. Before Cuse travels to Charlottesville, it has to face Maryland on the road. Three of Syracuse’s four remaining games is on the road, concluding with a trip to Florida State on Mar. 9.
The Cavaliers, on the other hand, have had a mostly favorable schedule since leaving Pitt with a buzzer-beating victory on Feb. 2.
[h/t CBS Sports]
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)