Feb 24, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
With Oklahoma’s 83-75 loss at Kansas on Monday night, the Sooners lost yet another chance to win an elite road game. Oklahoma can definitely put up points but can the Sooners can get stops to win games against teams as good as Kansas?
Lon Kruger’s team has multiple scoring options and shooters and they’re 12th in the country in scoring, but the Sooners could never get over the hump against Kansas on Monday because they couldn’t get defensive stands in key situations.
This kind of thing has happened to Oklahoma before in big games. The Sooners have lost to Michigan State, twice to Kansas and on the road at top Big 12 opponents’ venues like Iowa State, Kansas State and West Virginia. Although they have five players averaging at least 10 points a game and have valuable bench guys behind them, they have yet to find the solution to beat the big boys this season.
Of Oklahoma’s eight losses on the season, six of them resulted in their opponent scoring 80-plus points. Usually when the Sooners lose, it’s because their opponent can match their scoring punch and have no issues with Oklahoma’s porous defense.
Oklahoma can be dangerous to face because of its ability to score in a hurry, but if the Sooners hope to advance deep into postseason play, they need to find a defensive lineup that can rebound and get stops at the end of games.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)