Feb 24, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
With Oklahoma’s 83-75 loss at Kansas on Monday night, the Sooners lost yet another chance to win an elite road game. Oklahoma can definitely put up points but can the Sooners can get stops to win games against teams as good as Kansas?
Lon Kruger’s team has multiple scoring options and shooters and they’re 12th in the country in scoring, but the Sooners could never get over the hump against Kansas on Monday because they couldn’t get defensive stands in key situations.
This kind of thing has happened to Oklahoma before in big games. The Sooners have lost to Michigan State, twice to Kansas and on the road at top Big 12 opponents’ venues like Iowa State, Kansas State and West Virginia. Although they have five players averaging at least 10 points a game and have valuable bench guys behind them, they have yet to find the solution to beat the big boys this season.
Of Oklahoma’s eight losses on the season, six of them resulted in their opponent scoring 80-plus points. Usually when the Sooners lose, it’s because their opponent can match their scoring punch and have no issues with Oklahoma’s porous defense.
Oklahoma can be dangerous to face because of its ability to score in a hurry, but if the Sooners hope to advance deep into postseason play, they need to find a defensive lineup that can rebound and get stops at the end of games.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 1
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)