Feb 24, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
With Oklahoma’s 83-75 loss at Kansas on Monday night, the Sooners lost yet another chance to win an elite road game. Oklahoma can definitely put up points but can the Sooners can get stops to win games against teams as good as Kansas?
Lon Kruger’s team has multiple scoring options and shooters and they’re 12th in the country in scoring, but the Sooners could never get over the hump against Kansas on Monday because they couldn’t get defensive stands in key situations.
This kind of thing has happened to Oklahoma before in big games. The Sooners have lost to Michigan State, twice to Kansas and on the road at top Big 12 opponents’ venues like Iowa State, Kansas State and West Virginia. Although they have five players averaging at least 10 points a game and have valuable bench guys behind them, they have yet to find the solution to beat the big boys this season.
Of Oklahoma’s eight losses on the season, six of them resulted in their opponent scoring 80-plus points. Usually when the Sooners lose, it’s because their opponent can match their scoring punch and have no issues with Oklahoma’s porous defense.
Oklahoma can be dangerous to face because of its ability to score in a hurry, but if the Sooners hope to advance deep into postseason play, they need to find a defensive lineup that can rebound and get stops at the end of games.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (4)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)