Feb 24, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
With Oklahoma’s 83-75 loss at Kansas on Monday night, the Sooners lost yet another chance to win an elite road game. Oklahoma can definitely put up points but can the Sooners can get stops to win games against teams as good as Kansas?
Lon Kruger’s team has multiple scoring options and shooters and they’re 12th in the country in scoring, but the Sooners could never get over the hump against Kansas on Monday because they couldn’t get defensive stands in key situations.
This kind of thing has happened to Oklahoma before in big games. The Sooners have lost to Michigan State, twice to Kansas and on the road at top Big 12 opponents’ venues like Iowa State, Kansas State and West Virginia. Although they have five players averaging at least 10 points a game and have valuable bench guys behind them, they have yet to find the solution to beat the big boys this season.
Of Oklahoma’s eight losses on the season, six of them resulted in their opponent scoring 80-plus points. Usually when the Sooners lose, it’s because their opponent can match their scoring punch and have no issues with Oklahoma’s porous defense.
Oklahoma can be dangerous to face because of its ability to score in a hurry, but if the Sooners hope to advance deep into postseason play, they need to find a defensive lineup that can rebound and get stops at the end of games.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)