Feb 24, 2014, 10:15 PM EST
Purdue had some tough news come its way on Monday as the school and head coach Matt Painter announced that senior guard Sterling Carter is out for the rest of the season with a torn ACL.
Carter, a transfer from Seattle, suffered the knee injury in Purdue’s game against Nebraska on Saturday. The senior had played in 27 games and started Purdue’s last five games while averaging 4.8 points per game in 15 minutes a game.
“We are obviously disappointed for Sterling and really feel for him,” Painter said in the release. “It’s very unfortunate to see his collegiate career end like this. Sterling gave all he had for the program this year and did everything we asked of him since his arrival last summer.”
At 15-12, Purdue is looking for anyone to put besides Ronnie and Terone Johnson on the wing and losing Carter hurts in that pursuit. The Boilermakers have tried a lot of different starting lineups this season and they’ll have to go back to the drawing board.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)