Feb 24, 2014, 2:25 PM EST
The ejection seen ’round the world happened on Saturday night, as Jim Boeheim lost his mind over a call, got himself tossed and then became a meme.
All in a day’s work, I guess.
What was lost in the madness of Boeheim’s overreaction, however, was whether or not the right call was actually made.
Seth Davis os SI.com got the official who called a charge on C.J. Fair on the phone on Sunday night, and while Greene would not discuss whether or not the call that was made was correct, he did have this to say:
He did, however, tell me that he and his partners, Roger Ayers and Jamie Luckie, watched video of the play on an iPad in the officials’ locker room immediately afterward. When I asked Greene if he felt better after seeing the video, he replied, “Oh yes, absolutely.”
It was also interesting to hear Greene explain what was going through his mind as the pivotal sequence began. “I’m one of those guys who expects the unexpected,” he said. “I knew there’s not much time left, and that they were most likely going go to C.J. Fair, who’s not really a three-point shooter. You figure he’s going to go to the basket, so you prepare yourself. You’re thinking, how am I going to adjudicate what’s about to happen based on the rules?”
Working as a referee is not the easiest job in the world.
Whenever there is a close call to be made, there is going to be a fan base that ends up hating you after the final whistle. If he had called a block on Rodney Hood instead of calling a charge on Fair, Duke fans may not have let him leave Cameron.
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 1
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)