Feb 24, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
The ejection seen ’round the world happened on Saturday night, as Jim Boeheim lost his mind over a call, got himself tossed and then became a meme.
All in a day’s work, I guess.
What was lost in the madness of Boeheim’s overreaction, however, was whether or not the right call was actually made.
Seth Davis os SI.com got the official who called a charge on C.J. Fair on the phone on Sunday night, and while Greene would not discuss whether or not the call that was made was correct, he did have this to say:
He did, however, tell me that he and his partners, Roger Ayers and Jamie Luckie, watched video of the play on an iPad in the officials’ locker room immediately afterward. When I asked Greene if he felt better after seeing the video, he replied, “Oh yes, absolutely.”
It was also interesting to hear Greene explain what was going through his mind as the pivotal sequence began. “I’m one of those guys who expects the unexpected,” he said. “I knew there’s not much time left, and that they were most likely going go to C.J. Fair, who’s not really a three-point shooter. You figure he’s going to go to the basket, so you prepare yourself. You’re thinking, how am I going to adjudicate what’s about to happen based on the rules?”
Working as a referee is not the easiest job in the world.
Whenever there is a close call to be made, there is going to be a fan base that ends up hating you after the final whistle. If he had called a block on Rodney Hood instead of calling a charge on Fair, Duke fans may not have let him leave Cameron.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)