Feb 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Mike Poole has become a leader for Iona hoops (LoHud Insider)
One-year transfers have an interesting challenge in front of them in many cases, with their short-term stay in a program requiring greater effort in order to incorporate themselves into the program. One such transfer is Iona’s Mike Poole, who arrived at the school after spending three seasons at Rutgers. And he’s done well at his new home, even earning the role of captain for a team that clinched a share of the MAAC regular season title on Sunday.
Jim Boeheim’s act isn’t funny; just imagine if a player acted that way (CBS Sports)
In the aftermath of Jim Boeheim’s ejection with 10.4 seconds remaining in Syracuse’s loss at Duke on Saturday night, many had fun with the situation. Whether it was laughing at the post game press conference or the many memes developed as a result of Boeheim removing his blazer in anger, the moment certainly didn’t lack for entertainment. But not everyone found the situation funny.
CAA setting up for wide-open tournament (City of Basketball Love)
Drexel knocked off Delaware in Newark on Sunday afternoon, resulting in the Blue Hens’ lead atop the CAA shrinking to just one game in the standings. Monte Ross has been without two starters in Jarvis Threatt and Marvin King-Davis for close to a month due to suspension, but his team still managed to post a 12-2 record. And the tight nature of the CAA standings could be a harbinger of what’s to come in the conference tournament.
The “Big Dog” still feeling the Purdue love (Fort Wayne News-Sentinel)
Thursday night may not have gone well for Purdue on the court as they lost to No. 13 Michigan State, but the fans did get to welcome back a hero from the past. Glenn Robinson, the “Big Dog” was back in town, and to commemorate the occasion the school gave away bobble head dolls of one of the school’s greatest players.
Despite foot injuries, Sparrow helps Spiders step forward (Richmond Times-Dispatch)
When Richmond’s Cedrick Lindsay was lost for the rest of the season after tearing the meniscus in both knees, the Spiders’ prospects for the remainder of the season did not look good. But Chris Mooney’s team has remained among the top teams in the Atlantic 10, and one reason why is the play of Wayne Sparrow.
Coaches talk a good game to boost bid (Boston Herald)
It’s something that happens every year around this time and only intensifies as we get closer to Selection Sunday: coaches becoming salesmen in hopes of convincing the committee that their team should be in the NCAA tournament field. Whether it’s to sell their team or their conference, more than a few coaches will make their cases in the next three weeks.
Wisconsin badgering way into conversation for No. 1 seed (The Sporting News)
Saturday afternoon saw No. 16 Wisconsin add yet another quality win to its resume, with Bo Ryan’s Badgers winning at Iowa. As a result of their many quality wins the Badgers may have a case for a one-seed in the NCAA tournament should they run the table, something few expected when they were struggling in late-January.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)