Feb 25, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
There are 23 days left until Selection Sunday. Every morning from now until the bracket comes out, we’ll help you get caught up on the happenings with impact on the bubble from the night before.
Oklahoma State (RPI: 49, KenPom: 27) may have left Marcus Smart’s jersey in Stillwater, but the Pokes left TCU with a win on Monday night.
Now, beating the Horned Frogs isn’t necessarily a cause for celebrating. They are one of the worst power conference teams in the country and could very likely finish the season without a Division I victory.
That said, the Pokes haven’t exactly been winning that much themselves of late, snapping a seven-game losing streak on Saturday when Marcus Smart returned from his three-game suspension. It’s the second straight win for Travis Ford’s club, and it puts them in a position where they can play their way in to or out of the NCAA tournament.
This is what their schedule looks like in the final three games: Kansas, Kansas State, at Iowa State. The Cowboys are one of the first five out of the bracket in Dave Ommen’s latest posting this morning, and that likely isn’t going to change after tonight. But winning two of the next three would certainly get the Cowboys over the hump.
That means they need to beat Kansas at home or Iowa State on the road. Neither are promising propositions, but when you lose seven straight games, having the chance to control your own destiny is a good thing.
THE REST OF THURSDAY’S BUBBLE ACTION
Maryland (RPI: 71, KenPom: 48) pretty much killed their chance of getting an at-large bid with a loss to Syracuse at home on Monday night. We went more in depth here.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)