Feb 25, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
There are 23 days left until Selection Sunday. Every morning from now until the bracket comes out, we’ll help you get caught up on the happenings with impact on the bubble from the night before.
Oklahoma State (RPI: 49, KenPom: 27) may have left Marcus Smart’s jersey in Stillwater, but the Pokes left TCU with a win on Monday night.
Now, beating the Horned Frogs isn’t necessarily a cause for celebrating. They are one of the worst power conference teams in the country and could very likely finish the season without a Division I victory.
That said, the Pokes haven’t exactly been winning that much themselves of late, snapping a seven-game losing streak on Saturday when Marcus Smart returned from his three-game suspension. It’s the second straight win for Travis Ford’s club, and it puts them in a position where they can play their way in to or out of the NCAA tournament.
This is what their schedule looks like in the final three games: Kansas, Kansas State, at Iowa State. The Cowboys are one of the first five out of the bracket in Dave Ommen’s latest posting this morning, and that likely isn’t going to change after tonight. But winning two of the next three would certainly get the Cowboys over the hump.
That means they need to beat Kansas at home or Iowa State on the road. Neither are promising propositions, but when you lose seven straight games, having the chance to control your own destiny is a good thing.
THE REST OF THURSDAY’S BUBBLE ACTION
Maryland (RPI: 71, KenPom: 48) pretty much killed their chance of getting an at-large bid with a loss to Syracuse at home on Monday night. We went more in depth here.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)