Feb 25, 2014, 4:23 PM EST
It is not like Kansas is lacking in recruiting advantages. The team just won their tenth consecutive Big 12 regular season title, and Allen Fieldhouse is regularly cited as one of the best fan experiences in Division I — countless recruits visiting The Phog have been swayed to become a Jayhawk based on the overall vibe and decibel levels during home games. Now Bill Self and his staff will have another recruiting perk to lord over the rest of the Big 12 and other DI teams: announced during the first half of the Oklahoma win, Kansas will begin building apartments for the men’s and women’s basketball teams (as well as non-student athletes).
The ‘Fieldhouse Apartments’ project will cost an estimated $17 million, and the first phase, which will include 33 apartments and a commons area, will begin shortly. Because the university was denied additional bonds for the Kansas legislature to finance the construction, KU has begun to raise the funds for phase one — roughly $7 million — from private donations.
Oklahoma State upgraded their lockers rooms a few years ago, a move that included copious flatscreen televisions and plush chairs, and while some may see Kansas’ move as simply another step in facilities’ arms race, this sort of investment is necessary. How many articles have been written about DePaul and their lack of a proper on-campus arena? When Steve Lavin arrived at St. John’s, one of his first moves was to petition the use of the New York Knicks’ locker rooms when the Red Storm played at Madison Square Garden. These touches matter — to recruits, to current players, to alumni (who can point to these renovations as proof their alma mater “is the best”) — and the KU apartments, which will be located near the Phog, will likely be a reference point when another blue-chip recruit visits Lawrence.
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 11 Wichita State, No. 19 Baylor among winners in games matching ranked teams 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)