Feb 25, 2014, 12:45 AM EST
GAME OF THE DAY: Syracuse 57, Maryland 55
The No. 4 Orange picked up a very close two-point road win on Monday night in ACC play as they held their breath as Seth Allen’s three-pointer to win at the buzzer rimmed out. Tyler Ennis (20 points) and C.J. Fair (17 points) led the scoring punch for Syracuse, who bounced back from back-to-back ACC losses last week.
1) Kansas 83, Oklahoma 75
The Jayhawks earned their 10th consecutive regular season Big 12 crown on Monday as Joel Embiid had 12 points and 13 rebounds. All five Kansas starters finished with at least 11 points as the Jayhawks ran past Oklahoma in a tight second half.
2) Oklahoma State 76, TCU 54
The Cowboys continue to crawl back to their winning ways with a solid road win over TCU. Marcus Smart shot the ball pretty well from the perimeter in this one, as he hit for five three-pointers in the Big 12 win for Oklahoma State. Phil Forte led the Cowboys with 23 points.
3) Southern 87, Alabama State 64
The Jaguars opened up a three-game lead in the SWAC with a win over second-place Alabama State on Monday night. Southern will be the clear favorite to represent the SWAC in the NCAA Tournament and they gave No. 1 seed Gonzaga a scare as a 16-seed last season.
1) Marcus Smart and Phil Forte were both dialed in from the perimeter on Monday night as the backcourt duo from Oklahoma State each had five three-pointers.
2) Joel Embiid certainly looked healthy during flashes of Kansas’ win over Oklahoma. Embiid had 12 points and 13 rebounds and had a few jaw-dropping plays, including an easy dunk to open the game and some scary open-court moves.
3) Syracuse’s C.J. Fair and Trevor Cooney each knocked in clutch shots with their team needing a bucket in the Orange’s road win over Maryland. Although Cooney struggled to find his shot with any consistency, his spinning free-throw line jumper was clutch.
1) Oklahoma’s leaky defense couldn’t get any stops at the end of its game against Kansas. Each time the Sooners got a bucket, they’d allow more points to Kansas down the stretch.
2) Samford fell 81-71 to The Citadel on Monday and helped snap the program’s 17-game losing streak.
3) Jake Layman and Evan Smotrycz combined for nine points on 2-for-10 shooting and 2-for-8 from beyond the arc. Smotrycz only played 19 minutes and fouled out due to foul trouble.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 0
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 0
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)