Feb 25, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT
(UPDATE: According to St. John’s coach Steve Lavin, Rysheed Jordan will play against Xavier, but will not start.)
St. John’s freshman guard Rysheed Jordan has been ruled questionable for Tuesday night’s game against Xavier after the death of a relative.
He was back in Philadelphia with his family on Monday, missing practice, but was scheduled to return to campus that night.
“Obviously it’s a very difficult time for the young man,” head coach Steve Lavin said. “We’ll approach it in an appropriate manner based on how Rysheed is navigating through this emotional minefield.”
Two people were found dead in a Philadelphia residence on Saturday afternoon from gunshot wounds. One of the two, a 30-year old woman, has been confirmed as related to Jordan. The body was found while Jordan was playing in Saturday’s game at Villanova. He found out when the game ended. Jordan also lost a friend in August that was shot and killed by a police officer while he was on a European tour with the team.
Tonight is a key game for St. John’s, as they host fellow Big East bubble dweller Xavier. Jordan’s emergence has been key in the Johnnies reeling off nine wins in their last 11 games to climb back into tournament contention.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)