Feb 25, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
Over the weekend, we had one of the most exciting finishes in college basketball as UNLV was knocked off by Boise State in overtime when Deville Smith’s game-winning jumper was waived off.
It came a split-second too late.
League officials reviewed the tape and agreed. The ball was still touching Smith’s fingertips when the clock hit 0.0.
The problem? UNLV should have had 0.1 seconds more to get the shot off.
According to UNLV coach Dave Rice, Mountain West and Pac-12 coordinator of officials Bobby Dibler called him Monday to say that after further review the Rebels should have had 3.4 seconds instead of 3.3 when they inbounded the ball to Smith for his final heave.
Boise State’s Derrick Marks hit a go-ahead shot in the lane and after the ball rattled around the rim it swished through and left 3.3 seconds on the clock. However, some UNLV fans immediately cried foul, saying that extra time had run off the clock.
There was a screen shot going around on Sunday and Monday that showed the ball completely through the basket with 3.4 remaining. That was probably all Dibler needed to see to confirm what Rice already believed.
That’s a tough pill for UNLV to swallow, but if they don’t blow a five-point lead in the final 50 seconds, we don’t even need to have this conversation.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)