Feb 25, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
Over the weekend, we had one of the most exciting finishes in college basketball as UNLV was knocked off by Boise State in overtime when Deville Smith’s game-winning jumper was waived off.
It came a split-second too late.
League officials reviewed the tape and agreed. The ball was still touching Smith’s fingertips when the clock hit 0.0.
The problem? UNLV should have had 0.1 seconds more to get the shot off.
According to UNLV coach Dave Rice, Mountain West and Pac-12 coordinator of officials Bobby Dibler called him Monday to say that after further review the Rebels should have had 3.4 seconds instead of 3.3 when they inbounded the ball to Smith for his final heave.
Boise State’s Derrick Marks hit a go-ahead shot in the lane and after the ball rattled around the rim it swished through and left 3.3 seconds on the clock. However, some UNLV fans immediately cried foul, saying that extra time had run off the clock.
There was a screen shot going around on Sunday and Monday that showed the ball completely through the basket with 3.4 remaining. That was probably all Dibler needed to see to confirm what Rice already believed.
That’s a tough pill for UNLV to swallow, but if they don’t blow a five-point lead in the final 50 seconds, we don’t even need to have this conversation.
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? 2
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 5
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 2
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (8)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (5)