Feb 26, 2014, 10:07 AM EDT
Kentucky added their first commitment in the Class of 2015 on Wednesday morning, as five-star shooting guard Charles Matthews announced that he will be a Wildcat.
“When I graduate from St. Rita, I will be a student-athlete at Kentucky,” Matthews said in a press conference on Wednesday morning.
“I had a good gut feeling since I went there. It was kinda pointless beating around the bushes with the other coaches. That’s the place I wanted to be.”
Matthews picked Kentucky over Marquette, Kansas, Illinois and Michigan State.
Matthews, who is ranked No. 11 in the class by Rivals, is the third top 15 player in the class to commit. He played his AAU ball for the Meanstreets program out of Chicago, which John Calipari has successfully recruited in the past. Derrick Rose, Anthony Davis and Tyler Ulis were all part of Meanstreets in high school.
Here is Eric Bossi on Matthews: “An explosive guard, he’s particularly good working along either baseline. Gets out in transition and is an above the rim finisher when he wants. Doesn’t fully trust his jumper just yet and will be a load with more confidence in that and his handle. Very alert passer and potential to be a big time defender.”
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)