Feb 26, 2014, 10:07 AM EDT
Kentucky added their first commitment in the Class of 2015 on Wednesday morning, as five-star shooting guard Charles Matthews announced that he will be a Wildcat.
“When I graduate from St. Rita, I will be a student-athlete at Kentucky,” Matthews said in a press conference on Wednesday morning.
“I had a good gut feeling since I went there. It was kinda pointless beating around the bushes with the other coaches. That’s the place I wanted to be.”
Matthews picked Kentucky over Marquette, Kansas, Illinois and Michigan State.
Matthews, who is ranked No. 11 in the class by Rivals, is the third top 15 player in the class to commit. He played his AAU ball for the Meanstreets program out of Chicago, which John Calipari has successfully recruited in the past. Derrick Rose, Anthony Davis and Tyler Ulis were all part of Meanstreets in high school.
Here is Eric Bossi on Matthews: “An explosive guard, he’s particularly good working along either baseline. Gets out in transition and is an above the rim finisher when he wants. Doesn’t fully trust his jumper just yet and will be a load with more confidence in that and his handle. Very alert passer and potential to be a big time defender.”
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)