Feb 26, 2014, 10:07 AM EST
Kentucky added their first commitment in the Class of 2015 on Wednesday morning, as five-star shooting guard Charles Matthews announced that he will be a Wildcat.
“When I graduate from St. Rita, I will be a student-athlete at Kentucky,” Matthews said in a press conference on Wednesday morning.
“I had a good gut feeling since I went there. It was kinda pointless beating around the bushes with the other coaches. That’s the place I wanted to be.”
Matthews picked Kentucky over Marquette, Kansas, Illinois and Michigan State.
Matthews, who is ranked No. 11 in the class by Rivals, is the third top 15 player in the class to commit. He played his AAU ball for the Meanstreets program out of Chicago, which John Calipari has successfully recruited in the past. Derrick Rose, Anthony Davis and Tyler Ulis were all part of Meanstreets in high school.
Here is Eric Bossi on Matthews: “An explosive guard, he’s particularly good working along either baseline. Gets out in transition and is an above the rim finisher when he wants. Doesn’t fully trust his jumper just yet and will be a load with more confidence in that and his handle. Very alert passer and potential to be a big time defender.”
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)