Feb 26, 2014, 10:07 AM EDT
Kentucky added their first commitment in the Class of 2015 on Wednesday morning, as five-star shooting guard Charles Matthews announced that he will be a Wildcat.
“When I graduate from St. Rita, I will be a student-athlete at Kentucky,” Matthews said in a press conference on Wednesday morning.
“I had a good gut feeling since I went there. It was kinda pointless beating around the bushes with the other coaches. That’s the place I wanted to be.”
Matthews picked Kentucky over Marquette, Kansas, Illinois and Michigan State.
Matthews, who is ranked No. 11 in the class by Rivals, is the third top 15 player in the class to commit. He played his AAU ball for the Meanstreets program out of Chicago, which John Calipari has successfully recruited in the past. Derrick Rose, Anthony Davis and Tyler Ulis were all part of Meanstreets in high school.
Here is Eric Bossi on Matthews: “An explosive guard, he’s particularly good working along either baseline. Gets out in transition and is an above the rim finisher when he wants. Doesn’t fully trust his jumper just yet and will be a load with more confidence in that and his handle. Very alert passer and potential to be a big time defender.”
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)