Feb 26, 2014, 10:07 AM EDT
Kentucky added their first commitment in the Class of 2015 on Wednesday morning, as five-star shooting guard Charles Matthews announced that he will be a Wildcat.
“When I graduate from St. Rita, I will be a student-athlete at Kentucky,” Matthews said in a press conference on Wednesday morning.
“I had a good gut feeling since I went there. It was kinda pointless beating around the bushes with the other coaches. That’s the place I wanted to be.”
Matthews picked Kentucky over Marquette, Kansas, Illinois and Michigan State.
Matthews, who is ranked No. 11 in the class by Rivals, is the third top 15 player in the class to commit. He played his AAU ball for the Meanstreets program out of Chicago, which John Calipari has successfully recruited in the past. Derrick Rose, Anthony Davis and Tyler Ulis were all part of Meanstreets in high school.
Here is Eric Bossi on Matthews: “An explosive guard, he’s particularly good working along either baseline. Gets out in transition and is an above the rim finisher when he wants. Doesn’t fully trust his jumper just yet and will be a load with more confidence in that and his handle. Very alert passer and potential to be a big time defender.”
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1