Feb 26, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
Glenn Robinson III hit a leaner over two Purdue defenders to give No. 16 Michigan a 77-76 overtime win over Purdue in West Lafayette on Wednesday night.
That shot is going to get him headlines, if for no reason other than the fact that his father — the Big Dog, Glenn Robinson — is one of Purdue’s most famous alumni. So while the bucket gave the Wolverines a win, and the win kept Michigan a game in front of Michigan State in the Big Ten standings, the bigger story here is that Robinson was, you know, the best player on the floor for the Wolverines.
Robinson finished with 17 points, eight boards and three assists on 7-for-11 shooting on a night when John Beilein’s two big-dogs — Nik Stauskas and Caris LeVert — combined to shoot 9-for-30 from the field.
That’s big for Michigan.
Robinson has all the talent in the world. He’s got the physical tools of a first round pick and the kind of range that will make intrigue many-a-GM with a lottery pick. But he’s got a bad habit of disappearing. He’s not all that aggressive and he has a bad habit of disappearing during big games, happy to pigeon-hole himself as a perimeter jump-shooter.
He can be more, and Michigan needs him to be more, especially on the nights where Stauskas and LeVert struggle with the amount of defensive attention that they are going to get. In the last two games, Robinson is averaging 16.0 points and 6.5 boards while shooting 13-for-23 from the floor with just four of those shot attempts coming from beyond the arc.
Michigan fans won’t complain if he stays hot.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)