Feb 26, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
Glenn Robinson III hit a leaner over two Purdue defenders to give No. 16 Michigan a 77-76 overtime win over Purdue in West Lafayette on Wednesday night.
That shot is going to get him headlines, if for no reason other than the fact that his father — the Big Dog, Glenn Robinson — is one of Purdue’s most famous alumni. So while the bucket gave the Wolverines a win, and the win kept Michigan a game in front of Michigan State in the Big Ten standings, the bigger story here is that Robinson was, you know, the best player on the floor for the Wolverines.
Robinson finished with 17 points, eight boards and three assists on 7-for-11 shooting on a night when John Beilein’s two big-dogs — Nik Stauskas and Caris LeVert — combined to shoot 9-for-30 from the field.
That’s big for Michigan.
Robinson has all the talent in the world. He’s got the physical tools of a first round pick and the kind of range that will make intrigue many-a-GM with a lottery pick. But he’s got a bad habit of disappearing. He’s not all that aggressive and he has a bad habit of disappearing during big games, happy to pigeon-hole himself as a perimeter jump-shooter.
He can be more, and Michigan needs him to be more, especially on the nights where Stauskas and LeVert struggle with the amount of defensive attention that they are going to get. In the last two games, Robinson is averaging 16.0 points and 6.5 boards while shooting 13-for-23 from the floor with just four of those shot attempts coming from beyond the arc.
Michigan fans won’t complain if he stays hot.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)