Feb 26, 2014, 6:56 PM EDT
As part of a five-team logjam at 7-7 in the SEC standings, Ole Miss is hopeful that in their last four regular season games they’ll be able to set themselves apart from the pack despite entering Wednesday on a four-game losing streak. Andy Kennedy’s team hosts Alabama on Wednesday night, and they’ll do so without the services of one member of their backcourt rotation.
Wednesday afternoon it was announced that Kennedy has suspended sophomore guard Derrick Millinghaus indefinitely for a violation of team ruled. Millinghaus, who averaged 5.3 points per game as a freshman, is playing 19.5 minutes and accounting for 7.2 points and 2.4 assists per game this season.
After getting off to a good start in SEC play, averaging 15.5 points, 4.0 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game in wins over Auburn and Mississippi State in early January, Millinghaus hasn’t been as effective in his role. In the 12 SEC games that followed Millinghaus averaged 2.3 points and 1.9 assists per game.
Ole Miss does lose a body in its backcourt as a result of Millinghaus’ suspension, but as long as the trio of Marshall Henderson, Jarvis Summer and LaDarius White remains available they should be fine.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)