Feb 27, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
John Calipari has proven over and over again that he’s willing to use the power of Big Blue Nation and the celebrity status of his players to do quite a bit of charity work.
This was the most recent example, as he let Josh Fleming become a part of the team for a day-and-a-half leading up to the LSU game. But that’s far from it.
He held telethons to raise money for victims of the earthquake in Haiti and Hurricane Sandy, generating for than $1.7 million in total. A number of his players have had stories made public about spending their time with sick children, most notably Nerlens Noel, who famously brought a seven-year old Leukemia patient to the Kentucky Derby with him.
Calipari has his detractors, and there will certainly be cynics who simply claim that this is nothing more than an effort to get some positive publicity for his program, but, frankly, does it even matter?
I don’t think Josh Fleming cares one bit about why he got a chance to spend a day with his favorite team.
I’m sure all he cares about is the fact that he got to shoot hoops with Jarrod Polson and sat next to James Young in the locker room after a buzzer-beating win.
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)