Feb 27, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
John Calipari has proven over and over again that he’s willing to use the power of Big Blue Nation and the celebrity status of his players to do quite a bit of charity work.
This was the most recent example, as he let Josh Fleming become a part of the team for a day-and-a-half leading up to the LSU game. But that’s far from it.
He held telethons to raise money for victims of the earthquake in Haiti and Hurricane Sandy, generating for than $1.7 million in total. A number of his players have had stories made public about spending their time with sick children, most notably Nerlens Noel, who famously brought a seven-year old Leukemia patient to the Kentucky Derby with him.
Calipari has his detractors, and there will certainly be cynics who simply claim that this is nothing more than an effort to get some positive publicity for his program, but, frankly, does it even matter?
I don’t think Josh Fleming cares one bit about why he got a chance to spend a day with his favorite team.
I’m sure all he cares about is the fact that he got to shoot hoops with Jarrod Polson and sat next to James Young in the locker room after a buzzer-beating win.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)