Feb 27, 2014, 4:42 PM EST
After missing all of last season due to suspension, Northwestern guard JerShon Cobb ranked second on the team in scoring and assists, averaging 12.2 points and 2.3 assists to go along with 4.8 rebounds per game. And in the five games prior to getting injured in a loss at Ohio State on February 19, Cobb averaged 16.8 points and 4.8 rebounds per game.
Cobb’s been a valuable player for first-year head coach Chris Collins but he’d been dealing with foot and knee issues, and on Thursday Collins announced that his guard would not play again this season.
With Cobb out of the lineup in Saturday’s 61-56 loss to Indiana, Collins inserted junior guard Dave Sobolewski into the starting lineup. Sobolewski, averaging 5.0 points and a team-best 2.5 assists per game this season, accounted for just two points and one assist in 18 minutes of action.
Without Cobb even more will be asked of leading scorer Drew Crawford and guard Trey Demps, with the former shooting 2-for-10 in Saturday’s loss to Indiana. A positive to be taken from that result was the play of Alex Olah, who contributed 17 points and 11 rebounds in 39 minutes of action.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 5
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 22
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 5
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)