Feb 27, 2014, 4:42 PM EST
After missing all of last season due to suspension, Northwestern guard JerShon Cobb ranked second on the team in scoring and assists, averaging 12.2 points and 2.3 assists to go along with 4.8 rebounds per game. And in the five games prior to getting injured in a loss at Ohio State on February 19, Cobb averaged 16.8 points and 4.8 rebounds per game.
Cobb’s been a valuable player for first-year head coach Chris Collins but he’d been dealing with foot and knee issues, and on Thursday Collins announced that his guard would not play again this season.
With Cobb out of the lineup in Saturday’s 61-56 loss to Indiana, Collins inserted junior guard Dave Sobolewski into the starting lineup. Sobolewski, averaging 5.0 points and a team-best 2.5 assists per game this season, accounted for just two points and one assist in 18 minutes of action.
Without Cobb even more will be asked of leading scorer Drew Crawford and guard Trey Demps, with the former shooting 2-for-10 in Saturday’s loss to Indiana. A positive to be taken from that result was the play of Alex Olah, who contributed 17 points and 11 rebounds in 39 minutes of action.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)