Feb 27, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
After missing all of last season due to suspension, Northwestern guard JerShon Cobb ranked second on the team in scoring and assists, averaging 12.2 points and 2.3 assists to go along with 4.8 rebounds per game. And in the five games prior to getting injured in a loss at Ohio State on February 19, Cobb averaged 16.8 points and 4.8 rebounds per game.
Cobb’s been a valuable player for first-year head coach Chris Collins but he’d been dealing with foot and knee issues, and on Thursday Collins announced that his guard would not play again this season.
With Cobb out of the lineup in Saturday’s 61-56 loss to Indiana, Collins inserted junior guard Dave Sobolewski into the starting lineup. Sobolewski, averaging 5.0 points and a team-best 2.5 assists per game this season, accounted for just two points and one assist in 18 minutes of action.
Without Cobb even more will be asked of leading scorer Drew Crawford and guard Trey Demps, with the former shooting 2-for-10 in Saturday’s loss to Indiana. A positive to be taken from that result was the play of Alex Olah, who contributed 17 points and 11 rebounds in 39 minutes of action.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)