Feb 27, 2014, 12:12 AM EST
Javan Felix led four scorers in double figures with 21 points as No. 24 Texas survived a second half surge from Baylor, winning 74-69.
All 21 of Felix’s points came on three-pointers, as he finished the night 7-for-9 from beyond the arc. Isaiah Taylor added 13 points and seven assists, but the real difference-makers for the Longhorns were along their front line. Cameron Ridley and Jonathon Holmes finished with a combined 34 points, 18 boards — nine of which came on the offensive end — and five blocks while holding Isaiah Austin to just 1-for-10 shooting from the field.
Texas needed this win to bounce back from an embarrassing loss at Kansas over the weekend, but they’re solidly in the NCAA tournament field at this point. Baylor? Not so much, and that’s why they’re going to regret missing out on a chance to steal this win late.
The Longhorns were up by as much as 18 in the first half, but the Bears stormed back to cut the lead to one at one point in the final minutes. They couldn’t close out the win, however, and are now in a position where they probably cannot afford another regular season loss. Losing at Texas isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but when you lose eight out of ten games in the middle of the season, any loss becomes a bad loss.
Here is the rest of Baylor’s schedule: Texas Tech at home, Iowa State at home, at Kansas State. Win two and feel comfortable. Win all three and they should be safe.
And while we’re here, it’s worth making a note: Baylor is in a position to survive a disastrous stretch of bad basketball during league play because they picked up neutral court wins over Kentucky, Colorado and Dayton in non-conference play. Hopefully, the some of the high-major programs that like to schedule cupcakes will take notice and challenge themselves in November.
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 3
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)