Feb 27, 2014, 8:22 PM EST
Oregon enters Thursday’s game at UCLA in need of quality wins for its resume, and accomplishing that task may have gotten easier for the Ducks. According to Ryan Kartje of the Orange County Register, UCLA head coach Steve Alford has suspended guards Kyle Anderson and Jordan Adams for one game due to a violation of team rules.
Both players will serve their suspensions immediately, ruling them out for Thursday night’s game. Clearly this is a big deal for the Bruins, with Anderson being one of the best point guards in college basketball and Adams being the team’s leading scorer.
The two combine to average 32.1 points per game, with Anderson supplementing his 14.9 points with 8.6 rebounds and 6.9 assists per contest. As for Adams, he’s averaging 17.2 points and 5.6 rebounds per game while shooting 46.6% from the field and 37.7% from beyond the arc.
The teams have met once already this season, with UCLA winning 70-68 in Eugene on January 30. Anderson struggled for much of the night, accounting for just six points (1-for-8 FG) to go along with ten assists and a season-high nine turnovers. Adams didn’t have the same issues however, tallying 19 points on 6-for-10 shooting to go along with six rebounds and three steals.
Oregon’s had issues in conference play defending bigger guards, and the absence of Anderson and Adams removes that threat. But if the Ducks are to win it also adds an asterisk of sorts to a quality win, which doesn’t do Oregon much good.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 9
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 17
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (17)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)