Feb 28, 2014, 12:56 AM EST
No. 21 Memphis became the second ranked team to get dropped by Houston in Hofheinz Arena, falling 77-68 to the Cougars in a loss that will certainly look bad on the Tigers’ resume come Selection Sunday.
Danuel House led three players in double figures with 19 points and L.J. Rose chipped in with seven points, seven boards and ten assists.
Michael Dixon led the way with 19 points and four assists, but it wasn’t enough as Josh Pastner’s team never appeared to wake up.
It’s understandable, and frankly, we probably should have seen it coming. In their last two games, the Tigers beat Rutgers by five and were taken to overtime by Temple, two teams that are buried at the bottom of the AAC. Throw on top of that the fact that: A) they finish the season against Louisville, at Cincinnati and against SMU, and B) they were playing in an arena that quite possibly had more players working or playing in the game than sitting in the stands.
A slumping team without much to play for — they aren’t getting a top four seed and they aren’t in danger of missing the tournament — has a road game in a sterile environment 48 hours before starting the most difficult stretch of their season.
Throw in the fact that every single team in the country is dragging at the end of the dog days of February, and it’s not all that surprising that Houston was one of the six ranked teams to lose on Thursday.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)