Feb 28, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT
Through two-plus seasons in Knoxville, Cuonzo Martin has compiled a 56-39 record with the Volunteers. Tennessee is 17-11 (8-7 SEC) this year, currently sitting sixth in the conference standings.
Lately, some have speculated that Martin is on the hot seat. To make matters worse, former Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl, now an analyst with ESPN, is eligible to coach again beginning in 2014-2015. Despite being fired by the Volunteers three years ago, the Tennessee fan base still shows love for its charismatic ex-head coach.
Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings, Martin’s opponent on Saturday, is in his corner, saying it’s “absurd” his job status is being questioned.
“He’s in his third year and that is ridiculous. He’s doing a good job with their team,” Stallings told Jeff Lockridge of the Tennessean before practice on Thursday afternoon. “I think they’re getting ready to make the NCAA tournament. It takes some time when you go in there and you have to change some things and change the way things are done.
“Hopefully, the powers that be over at Tennessee will tune those idiots out and give (Martin) the kind of time he deserves to do the job he needs to do.”
Tennessee was picked to finish third in the SEC back in October — receiving one first-place vote — behind Kentucky and Florida. Although, the Volunteers are still squarely on the bubble heading into that last three games of the regular season. At the moment, Tennessee is listed as the First Five Teams Out in College Basketball Talk’s latest edition of Bracketology while SEC opponents Missouri and Arkansas are in the Last Five Teams In.
Tennessee hosts Vanderbilt on Saturday, with the tip scheduled for noon.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)