Feb 28, 2014, 10:24 AM EDT
On Saturday afternoon Nebraska will celebrate its past, with numerous former players returning to Lincoln for the Huskers’ game against Northwestern and the Legends Weekend festivities. And the current team will dress the part, wearing throwback uniforms inspired by the 1911-12 team.
That team went 14-1 and won the Missouri Valley Conference title, the program’s first league title. Nebraska also recorded a video with Walter Pitchford, Terran Petteway and Shavon Shields going through some “old school” drills (more than a few of them are still used to this day) in the jerseys. There’s Pitchford executing the timeless “Mikan drill,” and Petteway shooting an underhanded free throw (although we don’t get to see the result of the shot).
Embracing their history is something college teams need to do, because those legends can also impact the rebuilding of a moribund program. Get those players on board and they become great salesmen for the current staff, which can prove to be beneficial in regards to recruiting and alumni donations for new projects.
However even with the Legends Weekend festivities, what’s of greater importance to Tim Miles’ team is to get back on track, with an NCAA tournament berth that seemed improbable a month ago within Nebraska’s reach.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 3
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)