Feb 28, 2014, 10:24 AM EDT
On Saturday afternoon Nebraska will celebrate its past, with numerous former players returning to Lincoln for the Huskers’ game against Northwestern and the Legends Weekend festivities. And the current team will dress the part, wearing throwback uniforms inspired by the 1911-12 team.
That team went 14-1 and won the Missouri Valley Conference title, the program’s first league title. Nebraska also recorded a video with Walter Pitchford, Terran Petteway and Shavon Shields going through some “old school” drills (more than a few of them are still used to this day) in the jerseys. There’s Pitchford executing the timeless “Mikan drill,” and Petteway shooting an underhanded free throw (although we don’t get to see the result of the shot).
Embracing their history is something college teams need to do, because those legends can also impact the rebuilding of a moribund program. Get those players on board and they become great salesmen for the current staff, which can prove to be beneficial in regards to recruiting and alumni donations for new projects.
However even with the Legends Weekend festivities, what’s of greater importance to Tim Miles’ team is to get back on track, with an NCAA tournament berth that seemed improbable a month ago within Nebraska’s reach.
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 3
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)