Feb 28, 2014, 1:38 PM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
A few hours after it was reported that Florida Atlantic would fire head coach Mike Jarvis Friday morning, the school announced that Jarvis would resign at the end of the season. FAU is 10-19 overall and 5-9 in Conference USA play after losing 72-64 to Tulane on Thursday night.
“This decision is based upon my desire to explore other opportunities and in recognition that we are jointly disappointed that the men’s basketball program has not progressed as much as we would have liked,” Jarvis said in a press release sent out by FAU. “I thank FAU for the opportunity to coach the fine student-athletes of FAU for the past six years.”
In five-plus seasons at the school Jarvis, who has also been a college head coach at Boston University, George Washington and St. John’s, posted a record of 76 wins and 109 losses. His lone postseason appearance at FAU came in 2011, with the Owls reaching the Postseason NIT and finishing the year with a 21-11 record.
FAU has lost four straight games and they’ll finish their inaugural season in Conference USA with home games against Southern Miss and city rival FIU. In the program’s final two seasons as a member of the Sun Belt, FAU lost 37 games and finished no better than seventh in the conference standings in either campaign.
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 0
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 0
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)