Feb 28, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
A few hours after it was reported that Florida Atlantic would fire head coach Mike Jarvis Friday morning, the school announced that Jarvis would resign at the end of the season. FAU is 10-19 overall and 5-9 in Conference USA play after losing 72-64 to Tulane on Thursday night.
“This decision is based upon my desire to explore other opportunities and in recognition that we are jointly disappointed that the men’s basketball program has not progressed as much as we would have liked,” Jarvis said in a press release sent out by FAU. “I thank FAU for the opportunity to coach the fine student-athletes of FAU for the past six years.”
In five-plus seasons at the school Jarvis, who has also been a college head coach at Boston University, George Washington and St. John’s, posted a record of 76 wins and 109 losses. His lone postseason appearance at FAU came in 2011, with the Owls reaching the Postseason NIT and finishing the year with a 21-11 record.
FAU has lost four straight games and they’ll finish their inaugural season in Conference USA with home games against Southern Miss and city rival FIU. In the program’s final two seasons as a member of the Sun Belt, FAU lost 37 games and finished no better than seventh in the conference standings in either campaign.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)