Feb 28, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
On Jan. 12, Spencer Dinwiddie went down with a knee injury in Colorado’s loss to Washington. A day later, he was sidelined for the remainder of the season as the MRI revealed the junior guard had torn his ACL.
He won’t suit up again this year, and according to a report from Brian Howell of the Boulder Daily Camera, Dinwiddie may not wear a Buffaloes uniform again.
“It’s still my dream to go (to the NBA), and that’s no secret,” Dinwiddie said. “Everybody knew that if I hadn’t gotten hurt, I was going to leave.
“If I can be confident that it’s going to be a first-round type of thing, then I’d leave. If they’re not sure and talking second round or middle of the second round, I’ll be back (at CU).
The 6-foot-6 Dinwiddie was averaging 14.7 points, 3.1 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game for Colorado, including a 23-point, seven-rebound, four-assist performance in a 100-91 win over then No. 10 Oregon, handing the Ducks their first loss of the season. He was the team leader in minutes, points, assists, steals, and both his field goal and 3-point percentage increased from his sophomore season.
At the moment, Dinwiddie is not listed on DraftExpress latest 2014 NBA mock draft. Though, he is slotted as a first round pick in 2015. In Tad Boyle’s four-year stint at Colorado, he has seen two of his guards — Alec Burks and Andre Roberson — selected in the first round.
Dinwiddie has until April 27 to make a decision. If he does declare he’ll be in a pool with other point guards such as Dante Exum, Marcus Smart and Deonte Burton and then potentially other floor generals like Jahii Carson, Tyler Ennis and Andrew Harrison.
“It’s all about making the smart decision,” Dinwiddie said. “I’m not going to jump out there on a blind leap of faith.”
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)