Feb 28, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
On Jan. 12, Spencer Dinwiddie went down with a knee injury in Colorado’s loss to Washington. A day later, he was sidelined for the remainder of the season as the MRI revealed the junior guard had torn his ACL.
He won’t suit up again this year, and according to a report from Brian Howell of the Boulder Daily Camera, Dinwiddie may not wear a Buffaloes uniform again.
“It’s still my dream to go (to the NBA), and that’s no secret,” Dinwiddie said. “Everybody knew that if I hadn’t gotten hurt, I was going to leave.
“If I can be confident that it’s going to be a first-round type of thing, then I’d leave. If they’re not sure and talking second round or middle of the second round, I’ll be back (at CU).
The 6-foot-6 Dinwiddie was averaging 14.7 points, 3.1 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game for Colorado, including a 23-point, seven-rebound, four-assist performance in a 100-91 win over then No. 10 Oregon, handing the Ducks their first loss of the season. He was the team leader in minutes, points, assists, steals, and both his field goal and 3-point percentage increased from his sophomore season.
At the moment, Dinwiddie is not listed on DraftExpress latest 2014 NBA mock draft. Though, he is slotted as a first round pick in 2015. In Tad Boyle’s four-year stint at Colorado, he has seen two of his guards — Alec Burks and Andre Roberson — selected in the first round.
Dinwiddie has until April 27 to make a decision. If he does declare he’ll be in a pool with other point guards such as Dante Exum, Marcus Smart and Deonte Burton and then potentially other floor generals like Jahii Carson, Tyler Ennis and Andrew Harrison.
“It’s all about making the smart decision,” Dinwiddie said. “I’m not going to jump out there on a blind leap of faith.”
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 4
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)