Mar 1, 2014, 6:28 PM EST
Florida continues to roll through the SEC as the No. 1 Gators earned their 21st consecutive victory with Saturday’s 79-61 home SEC win over LSU.
The Gators had tremendous balance on offense in the win as five Florida players had seven-to-10 field goal attempts to help Florida shoot 57 percent (31-for-54) from the field and 56 percent (13-for-23) from the three-point line. Florida also had 18 assists on 31 field goals and its defense held LSU to 38 percent shooting.
Florida was led by Dorian Finney-Smith with 16 points while Casey Prather and Michael Frazier II each contributed 14 points while senior guard Scottie Wilbekin had 11 points as well.
The Gators haven’t lost in nearly three months — since Shabazz Napier’s buzzer-beater on December 2nd — and Florida has only lost two true road games this season to UConn and Wisconsin.
So why aren’t more people talking about the Gators?
A weaker SEC than was initially perceived might have something to do with it. Kentucky isn’t the juggernaut that some believed in the preseason and the SEC doesn’t have a lot of NCAA Tournament locks. But Florida still owns wins over Kansas and Memphis — as well as a road win at Rupp — and the Gators are finally coming into their own as they get healthy and get Chris Walker into the rotation.
If Florida beats Kentucky at home next Saturday might they get more respect for a No. 1 team that has won 21 straight games? Time will tell, but the Gators are deep and dangerous as we finally begin the month of March.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)