Mar 1, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
Florida continues to roll through the SEC as the No. 1 Gators earned their 21st consecutive victory with Saturday’s 79-61 home SEC win over LSU.
The Gators had tremendous balance on offense in the win as five Florida players had seven-to-10 field goal attempts to help Florida shoot 57 percent (31-for-54) from the field and 56 percent (13-for-23) from the three-point line. Florida also had 18 assists on 31 field goals and its defense held LSU to 38 percent shooting.
Florida was led by Dorian Finney-Smith with 16 points while Casey Prather and Michael Frazier II each contributed 14 points while senior guard Scottie Wilbekin had 11 points as well.
The Gators haven’t lost in nearly three months — since Shabazz Napier’s buzzer-beater on December 2nd — and Florida has only lost two true road games this season to UConn and Wisconsin.
So why aren’t more people talking about the Gators?
A weaker SEC than was initially perceived might have something to do with it. Kentucky isn’t the juggernaut that some believed in the preseason and the SEC doesn’t have a lot of NCAA Tournament locks. But Florida still owns wins over Kansas and Memphis — as well as a road win at Rupp — and the Gators are finally coming into their own as they get healthy and get Chris Walker into the rotation.
If Florida beats Kentucky at home next Saturday might they get more respect for a No. 1 team that has won 21 straight games? Time will tell, but the Gators are deep and dangerous as we finally begin the month of March.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)