Mar 1, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
Florida continues to roll through the SEC as the No. 1 Gators earned their 21st consecutive victory with Saturday’s 79-61 home SEC win over LSU.
The Gators had tremendous balance on offense in the win as five Florida players had seven-to-10 field goal attempts to help Florida shoot 57 percent (31-for-54) from the field and 56 percent (13-for-23) from the three-point line. Florida also had 18 assists on 31 field goals and its defense held LSU to 38 percent shooting.
Florida was led by Dorian Finney-Smith with 16 points while Casey Prather and Michael Frazier II each contributed 14 points while senior guard Scottie Wilbekin had 11 points as well.
The Gators haven’t lost in nearly three months — since Shabazz Napier’s buzzer-beater on December 2nd — and Florida has only lost two true road games this season to UConn and Wisconsin.
So why aren’t more people talking about the Gators?
A weaker SEC than was initially perceived might have something to do with it. Kentucky isn’t the juggernaut that some believed in the preseason and the SEC doesn’t have a lot of NCAA Tournament locks. But Florida still owns wins over Kansas and Memphis — as well as a road win at Rupp — and the Gators are finally coming into their own as they get healthy and get Chris Walker into the rotation.
If Florida beats Kentucky at home next Saturday might they get more respect for a No. 1 team that has won 21 straight games? Time will tell, but the Gators are deep and dangerous as we finally begin the month of March.
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 1
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)