Mar 1, 2014, 8:18 PM EDT
Semaj Christon scored 21 points and Justin Martin chipped in with 19 points and 16 boards as Xavier landed their biggest win of the season, knocking off No. 9 Creighton, 75-69, in the Cintas Center.
It’s hard to overstate just how important this win is to the Musketeers. They entered the night with an RPI in the mid-40s and an 8-7 record against the top 100 and left with their second win against a top 20 teams. They are now 10-6 in the Big East, and with two games left in the regular season — at Seton Hall and Villanova at home — Xavier should be in the tournament as long as they don’t lost both. Even then, the Musketeers still might be alright.
That’s what this win meant.
As far as Creighton is concerned, the loss hurts, but it doesn’t mean all that much. It could cost them the Big East regular season title and the No. 1 seed in the Big East tournament, but this won’t drop their tournament seed all that much and it shouldn’t hurt the national perception of the Bluejays. Xavier’s good, the Cintas Center is a tough place to play and Xavier got huge games out of Martin and Dee Davis.
Upsets happen, especially on the nights when Creighton shoots 10-for-34 from three. So this proves that a three-point shooting team will struggle on the nights those threes aren’t dropping. Shocking, right?
What’s more concerning is that Greg McDermott may have lost a key piece off the bench for the rest of the season.
Isaiah Zierdan is a freshman that averages 11.1 minutes and 3.3 points on the season, and while he has played some better basketball of late, his season is likely over after suffering a gruesome knee injury midway through the first half. He landed awkwardly, bending his right knee in the wrong direction.
Doug McDermott finished with 27 points and 10 boards in a losing effort.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)