Mar 2, 2014, 8:08 PM EDT
Not only did No. 9 lose control of the Big East title race with their 75-69 defeat at Xavier on Saturday, the Bluejays also lost a member of their rotation to an injury. Redshirt freshman guard Isaiah Zierden went down in the first half of that game with a knee injury, and on Sunday evening the school reported that in addition to the dislocated patellar tendon he also suffered an injury to the MCL in his right knee.
Zierden has been ruled out indefinitely by the school, with an MRI scheduled for Monday in Washington, D.C. The Bluejays play at Georgetown on Tuesday night.
Zierden’s averaging 3.2 points per game on the season, but he’s had his moments during Big East play for the Bluejays. In Creighton’s 101-80 win over No. 8 Villanova on February 16 Zierden scored a career-high 13 points, and one week later he scored seven points in a 72-71 win over Seton Hall.
Creighton has plenty of depth and experience on the perimeter, with Austin Chatman, Grant Gibbs and Jahenns Manigat all being experienced contributors and Devin Brooks averaging 7.5 points per game off the bench. With this being the case the Bluejays will be able to account for the loss of Zierden, but his injury does result in there being one less option off the bench.
Trailing Villanova by a game in the Big East standings, Creighton needs wins over Georgetown and Providence along with some help in order to claim the regular season conference title.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)