Mar 2, 2014, 8:08 PM EDT
Not only did No. 9 lose control of the Big East title race with their 75-69 defeat at Xavier on Saturday, the Bluejays also lost a member of their rotation to an injury. Redshirt freshman guard Isaiah Zierden went down in the first half of that game with a knee injury, and on Sunday evening the school reported that in addition to the dislocated patellar tendon he also suffered an injury to the MCL in his right knee.
Zierden has been ruled out indefinitely by the school, with an MRI scheduled for Monday in Washington, D.C. The Bluejays play at Georgetown on Tuesday night.
Zierden’s averaging 3.2 points per game on the season, but he’s had his moments during Big East play for the Bluejays. In Creighton’s 101-80 win over No. 8 Villanova on February 16 Zierden scored a career-high 13 points, and one week later he scored seven points in a 72-71 win over Seton Hall.
Creighton has plenty of depth and experience on the perimeter, with Austin Chatman, Grant Gibbs and Jahenns Manigat all being experienced contributors and Devin Brooks averaging 7.5 points per game off the bench. With this being the case the Bluejays will be able to account for the loss of Zierden, but his injury does result in there being one less option off the bench.
Trailing Villanova by a game in the Big East standings, Creighton needs wins over Georgetown and Providence along with some help in order to claim the regular season conference title.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)