Mar 2, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
With 8:33 remaining in the first half, LIU Brooklyn senior point guard Jason Brickman recorded his third assist of the night as Gerrell Martin sunk a 3-pointer.
For Brickman, that would be his 1,000th career assist, becoming only the fourth player in college basketball history to reach that milestone in the final game with the Blackbirds. He ended the night with 12 dimes — the 18th time this season he’s recorded double-digit assists — which tied his Northeast Conference single-season record 0f 290. Brickman ended his collegiate career with 1,009 assists.
Before Brickman hit the milestone, the illustrious group was limited to only those who starred in the ACC. Brickman joins Duke’s Bobby Hurley, N.C. State’s Chris Corchiani and North Carolina’s Ed Cota as Division I floor generals to amass 1,000 assists.
In his four-year career with LIU Brooklyn, Brickman helped lead the Blackbirds to three consecutive NCAA tournaments after winning the Northeast Conference tournament in each of his first three seasons. LIU Brooklyn will not have a chance as a four-peat this season as the Blackbirds did not qualify for the conference’s postseason tournament.
Brickman ends his senior season averaging a double-double at 11.3 points and 10.0 assists per game. He averaged 9.1 points and 7.8 assists per game. LIU Brooklyn finished the 2013-2014 season 9-20 (4-12 NEC).
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)