Mar 2, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
With 8:33 remaining in the first half, LIU Brooklyn senior point guard Jason Brickman recorded his third assist of the night as Gerrell Martin sunk a 3-pointer.
For Brickman, that would be his 1,000th career assist, becoming only the fourth player in college basketball history to reach that milestone in the final game with the Blackbirds. He ended the night with 12 dimes — the 18th time this season he’s recorded double-digit assists — which tied his Northeast Conference single-season record 0f 290. Brickman ended his collegiate career with 1,009 assists.
Before Brickman hit the milestone, the illustrious group was limited to only those who starred in the ACC. Brickman joins Duke’s Bobby Hurley, N.C. State’s Chris Corchiani and North Carolina’s Ed Cota as Division I floor generals to amass 1,000 assists.
In his four-year career with LIU Brooklyn, Brickman helped lead the Blackbirds to three consecutive NCAA tournaments after winning the Northeast Conference tournament in each of his first three seasons. LIU Brooklyn will not have a chance as a four-peat this season as the Blackbirds did not qualify for the conference’s postseason tournament.
Brickman ends his senior season averaging a double-double at 11.3 points and 10.0 assists per game. He averaged 9.1 points and 7.8 assists per game. LIU Brooklyn finished the 2013-2014 season 9-20 (4-12 NEC).
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)