Mar 2, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
With 8:33 remaining in the first half, LIU Brooklyn senior point guard Jason Brickman recorded his third assist of the night as Gerrell Martin sunk a 3-pointer.
For Brickman, that would be his 1,000th career assist, becoming only the fourth player in college basketball history to reach that milestone in the final game with the Blackbirds. He ended the night with 12 dimes — the 18th time this season he’s recorded double-digit assists — which tied his Northeast Conference single-season record 0f 290. Brickman ended his collegiate career with 1,009 assists.
Before Brickman hit the milestone, the illustrious group was limited to only those who starred in the ACC. Brickman joins Duke’s Bobby Hurley, N.C. State’s Chris Corchiani and North Carolina’s Ed Cota as Division I floor generals to amass 1,000 assists.
In his four-year career with LIU Brooklyn, Brickman helped lead the Blackbirds to three consecutive NCAA tournaments after winning the Northeast Conference tournament in each of his first three seasons. LIU Brooklyn will not have a chance as a four-peat this season as the Blackbirds did not qualify for the conference’s postseason tournament.
Brickman ends his senior season averaging a double-double at 11.3 points and 10.0 assists per game. He averaged 9.1 points and 7.8 assists per game. LIU Brooklyn finished the 2013-2014 season 9-20 (4-12 NEC).
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Sophomore forward Semi Ojeleye to transfer from Duke (3)