Mar 2, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Having dropped three of the last four games, George Washington was in a position where they needed a win over George Mason to get back on track. Without a “bad” loss on its resume Mike Lonergan’s team is well-positioned to earn the program’s first NCAA tournament berth since 2007, and the Colonials took another step forward with a 66-58 win over George Mason.
For teams looking to ensure their spot in the 68-team field it’s just as important to avoid damaging losses as it is to pick up quality wins. George Washington managed to do this despite committing 16 turnovers, with their superior three-point shooting being one of the deciding factors. The Colonials outscored the Patriots 24-9 from beyond the arc, with Maurice Creek making four of their eight three-pointers on the afternoon.
Creek scored a game-high 22 points to go along with five rebounds, leading four George Washington starters in double figures, and Isaiah Armwood added 11 to go along with 14 rebounds, three assists and three steals. George Washington’s had to deal with injuries for much of the season, and guard Kethan Savage is still out with with a broken bone in his in his left foot.
The Colonials have persevered however, a the reward in the form of an NCAA tournament berth is well within their reach.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)