Mar 2, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT
After falling 65-49 at Saint Louis on February 5 the Saint Joseph’s Hawks had a 5-3 record in Atlantic 10 play and the look of a team that while solid would not be a contender for the conference title. Since that defeat the Hawks have won six straight games, with the most recent result being an 83-74 win at St. Bonaventure on Saturday afternoon. And with Saint Louis’ loss at VCU, Phil Martelli’s team is just a game out of first place with two games left to play.
Saint Joseph’s shot 54% from the field and 21-for-24 from the foul line, with their proficiency from the charity stripe and from two (70.3% shooting on two-pointers) helping the Hawks win despite committing 16 turnovers. Langston Galloway led four Hawks in double figures with 27 points to go along with eight rebounds and four assists, with freshman DeAndre Bembry adding 18 and Ronald Roberts Jr. 15.
Matthew Wright led four Bonnies in double figures with 18 points. Saint Joseph’s closes out the regular season with games against George Washington and Big 5 rival La Salle, and their Atlantic 10 title hopes remain intact.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 22
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (24)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)