Mar 2, 2014, 12:25 AM EST
After falling 65-49 at Saint Louis on February 5 the Saint Joseph’s Hawks had a 5-3 record in Atlantic 10 play and the look of a team that while solid would not be a contender for the conference title. Since that defeat the Hawks have won six straight games, with the most recent result being an 83-74 win at St. Bonaventure on Saturday afternoon. And with Saint Louis’ loss at VCU, Phil Martelli’s team is just a game out of first place with two games left to play.
Saint Joseph’s shot 54% from the field and 21-for-24 from the foul line, with their proficiency from the charity stripe and from two (70.3% shooting on two-pointers) helping the Hawks win despite committing 16 turnovers. Langston Galloway led four Hawks in double figures with 27 points to go along with eight rebounds and four assists, with freshman DeAndre Bembry adding 18 and Ronald Roberts Jr. 15.
Matthew Wright led four Bonnies in double figures with 18 points. Saint Joseph’s closes out the regular season with games against George Washington and Big 5 rival La Salle, and their Atlantic 10 title hopes remain intact.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)