Mar 2, 2014, 11:43 PM EDT
Saturday afternoon UNLV put forth one of its best performances of the season, shooting 61.8% from the field and 12-for-18 from beyond the arc in their 93-67 win at Air Force. Unfortunately for head coach Dave Rice that result came at a cost, as the school announced on Sunday evening that junior forward Roscoe Smith will miss Wednesday’s game against No. 13 San Diego State due to a concussion.
“Roscoe was evaluated today and was determined to have a concussion,” Rice said in the statement. “He will be evaluated on a day-to-day basis, but he will miss Wednesday’s game against San Diego State.”
Smith left the game for good after suffering the injury with 7:15 remaining in the second half. UNLV’s been dealing with health issues at Smith’s position recently, with freshman Christian Wood missing Saturday’s win due to flu-like symptoms.
With this being the case, how will the minutes be distributed on Wednesday night? Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun offered the following:
In Smith’s absence, it’s likely Carlos Lopez-Sosa will get the starting spot for senior night. As long as he’s healthy, Wood will likely get the majority of the minutes at power forward against the Aztecs, who rank first in offense rebounding percentage during Mountain West games.
Smith’s currently averaging 11.0 points and 11.0 rebounds per game, leading the Mountain West in the latter, so this is clearly a critical personnel loss with the Aztecs visiting on Wednesday night. In conference play SDSU is rebounding 36.6% of its missed shots, and UNLV ranks seventh in the conference in defensive rebounding percentage (68.7%).
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)