Mar 2, 2014, 11:43 PM EST
Saturday afternoon UNLV put forth one of its best performances of the season, shooting 61.8% from the field and 12-for-18 from beyond the arc in their 93-67 win at Air Force. Unfortunately for head coach Dave Rice that result came at a cost, as the school announced on Sunday evening that junior forward Roscoe Smith will miss Wednesday’s game against No. 13 San Diego State due to a concussion.
“Roscoe was evaluated today and was determined to have a concussion,” Rice said in the statement. “He will be evaluated on a day-to-day basis, but he will miss Wednesday’s game against San Diego State.”
Smith left the game for good after suffering the injury with 7:15 remaining in the second half. UNLV’s been dealing with health issues at Smith’s position recently, with freshman Christian Wood missing Saturday’s win due to flu-like symptoms.
With this being the case, how will the minutes be distributed on Wednesday night? Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun offered the following:
In Smith’s absence, it’s likely Carlos Lopez-Sosa will get the starting spot for senior night. As long as he’s healthy, Wood will likely get the majority of the minutes at power forward against the Aztecs, who rank first in offense rebounding percentage during Mountain West games.
Smith’s currently averaging 11.0 points and 11.0 rebounds per game, leading the Mountain West in the latter, so this is clearly a critical personnel loss with the Aztecs visiting on Wednesday night. In conference play SDSU is rebounding 36.6% of its missed shots, and UNLV ranks seventh in the conference in defensive rebounding percentage (68.7%).
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 0
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)