Mar 3, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Caris LeVert has been tearing up the Big Ten this season, averaging 13.4 points as one of the nation’s most improved sophomores.
He’s been terrific, carrying the Wolverines at times when Nik Stauskas has struggled. Beilein has called him his most indispensable player.
The craziest part about it is that LeVert wasn’t even supposed to be at Michigan. He was supposed to go to Ohio, but backed off of that when then-Bobcat head coach John Groce took over the job at Illinois.
And LeVert would have followed him … if Groce had only picked up the phone and made the call. He never did. From Brendan Quinn of MLive.com:
According to LeVert, Illinois assistant coach Dustin Ford called him about a week after Groce took the Illinois job. He told LeVert that Groce would be reaching out shortly to discuss Illinois.
The call never came.
A few days later, on May 11, 2012, LeVert committed to Michigan during an official visit.
“I haven’t ever talked to (Groce), except for, like, ‘Good game,’ and stuff like that after (last year’s game),” LeVert said.
Michigan swept the Illini last season. They play them again on Tuesday.
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 0
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)