Mar 3, 2014, 3:56 PM EST
Kansas star freshman Joel Embiid is done for the season!!!
The regular season, that is.
Kansas head coach Bill Self announced on Monday that one of his two star freshmen will miss the final two games of the regular season with a back injury that was aggravated in the second half of Saturday’s loss at Oklahoma State. Embiid initially hurt his back against TCU earlier this season and sat out three games as a result.
“I think he could return for the Big 12 tournament,” Self told ESPN.com. “But it shouldn’t impact the NCAA tournament.”
The Jayhawks have already clinched the Big 12 regular season title, and they shouldn’t have an issue beating Texas Tech at home or West Virginia on the road even with Embiid on the bench. To earn a No. 1 seed on Selection Sunday, Kansas will likely need to win the Big 12 tournament, but even if they lose the next three games, the Jayhawks shouldn’t fall below a No. 2 or 3 seed.
Self is worried about winning the NCAA tournament, and the difference between a No. 1 seed and a No. 3 seed, especially this season, isn’t all that much. It’s more important for him to have a healthy Embiid at his disposal, which is precisely the reason that he won’t play for at least a week.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)