Mar 3, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Kansas star freshman Joel Embiid is done for the season!!!
The regular season, that is.
Kansas head coach Bill Self announced on Monday that one of his two star freshmen will miss the final two games of the regular season with a back injury that was aggravated in the second half of Saturday’s loss at Oklahoma State. Embiid initially hurt his back against TCU earlier this season and sat out three games as a result.
“I think he could return for the Big 12 tournament,” Self told ESPN.com. “But it shouldn’t impact the NCAA tournament.”
The Jayhawks have already clinched the Big 12 regular season title, and they shouldn’t have an issue beating Texas Tech at home or West Virginia on the road even with Embiid on the bench. To earn a No. 1 seed on Selection Sunday, Kansas will likely need to win the Big 12 tournament, but even if they lose the next three games, the Jayhawks shouldn’t fall below a No. 2 or 3 seed.
Self is worried about winning the NCAA tournament, and the difference between a No. 1 seed and a No. 3 seed, especially this season, isn’t all that much. It’s more important for him to have a healthy Embiid at his disposal, which is precisely the reason that he won’t play for at least a week.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)