Mar 3, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Tennessee-Martin has fired head coach Jason James.
James, who has been in the position for five season after taking over for Brad Campbell in 2009, just finished an 8-23 season. The Seahawks went 3-13 in OVC play and missed out on the league tournament.
“I would like to personally thank Coach James for his 12 years of service to the UT Martin men’s basketball program,” UT-Martin Athletics Director Julio Freire said. “He conducted the program with the highest degree of integrity. This was a tough decision to make. I took a hard look at how the program has developed over Coach James’ five years as the head coach from several different angles – recruiting, player development, postseason success, in short – the comprehensive success of the program. In the end, I felt that I needed to recommend to Chancellor Rakes that we move in a new direction. It is my responsibility to provide our student-athletes with the best opportunities to reach their fullest potential academically, athletically and socially.”
It was the fifth season for James, who was 37-117 in his tenure.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)