Mar 4, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
It went from bad to worse on Tuesday night for Syracuse as the No. 7 Orange fell at the Carrier Dome on Senior Night 67-62 to Georgia Tech in an ACC contest.
The Yellow Jackets (14-16, 5-12) led the final 31:40 of the game as Syracuse struggled to find consistent offense outside of C.J. Fair and Tyler Ennis while its 2-3 zone had breakdowns on the interior.
Georgia Tech’s balanced offense did a nice job of pounding the ball inside and working the ball around patiently against the Orange zone. Trae Golden led the Yellow Jackets with 16 points while Daniel Miller had 15 points and six blocks and Robert Carter Jr. added 12 points.
Playing without sophomore Jerami Grant, who sat out with a back injury, Syracuse (26-4, 13-4) struggled on both ends of the floor as they only played seven players on the night. Fair (28 points) and Ennis (18 points) were the only consistent offensive threats for Syracuse on the night as the Orange struggled to 39 percent shooting from the field, 29 percent from three-point range and 43 percent from the free-throw line.
Trevor Cooney struggled to seven points on 3-for-12 shooting and no other Syracuse player tallied more than three points.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)