Mar 4, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
It went from bad to worse on Tuesday night for Syracuse as the No. 7 Orange fell at the Carrier Dome on Senior Night 67-62 to Georgia Tech in an ACC contest.
The Yellow Jackets (14-16, 5-12) led the final 31:40 of the game as Syracuse struggled to find consistent offense outside of C.J. Fair and Tyler Ennis while its 2-3 zone had breakdowns on the interior.
Georgia Tech’s balanced offense did a nice job of pounding the ball inside and working the ball around patiently against the Orange zone. Trae Golden led the Yellow Jackets with 16 points while Daniel Miller had 15 points and six blocks and Robert Carter Jr. added 12 points.
Playing without sophomore Jerami Grant, who sat out with a back injury, Syracuse (26-4, 13-4) struggled on both ends of the floor as they only played seven players on the night. Fair (28 points) and Ennis (18 points) were the only consistent offensive threats for Syracuse on the night as the Orange struggled to 39 percent shooting from the field, 29 percent from three-point range and 43 percent from the free-throw line.
Trevor Cooney struggled to seven points on 3-for-12 shooting and no other Syracuse player tallied more than three points.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)