Mar 4, 2014, 9:31 AM EST
After a season full of injuries and illnesses, Michigan State finally has everyone on their roster available to play.
That didn’t stop the Spartans from losing to Illinois on Saturday, their third loss in the last four games and sixth loss in the last 10 games.
The problem now is Keith Appling, who has played like a shell of himself since sitting out three games to try to get his ailing right wrist healthy. He says it doesn’t hurt anymore, according to Joe Rexrode of the Detroit Free-Press, but that he’s favoring it, struggling to find the shooting form he had before suffering the injury on December 4th.
It’s put head coach Tom Izzo in a tough situation. It’s March. Michigan State is more or less out of time to try and get healthy, so does he try to help Appling figure out what’s wrong or does he simply pull Appling off the court for backup Travis Trice when he’s struggling?
“Yeah, I really am (considering that) as far as minutes goes and things like that,” Izzo said Monday. “I’m not going to pull Keith on senior night. I’m not going to put that pressure on him.”
“Could (Trice) have had a few more minutes? I think that’s a good one to throw stones at me on because I think it’s true. I think it’s valid. But I’m also in that catch-22 of wanting to win games and wanting to get us as ready as we can get for the tournament, and what’s going to be the best tournament team, and what’s going to help us win games?”
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 1
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)