Mar 4, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Seton Hall’s Fuquan Edwin reflects on a career he feels was “a disappointment” (Newark Star-Ledger)
On Monday night Seton Hall’s seniors led the way in a 71-62 win over Xavier on Senior Night. One of those leaders was Fuquan Edwin, coincidentally the final player recruited by Bobby Gonzalez before he was dismissed. Edwin reflected on his career to date, one he feels is a disappointing one due to the program’s lack of success.
In yet another act, Brown writes a winning script (New York Times)
SMU head coach Larry Brown has coached at many levels throughout his career, but his latest job proved to be one difficult to get. Friends within college coaching helped Brown remain in the game after failed stints with the Knicks and Bobcats, and ultimately he would get his chance at SMU. And the move has paid off for all involved, with the Mustangs on their way to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1993.
SIU’s Hinson struggling to cope with family tragedy (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
Southern Illinois head coach Barry Hinson may have made news early this season due to a post game rant following a tough road loss, but the fact of the matter is the the coach has endured a far tougher year off the court. And with this being the case Hinson’s tried to immerse himself in the game, but that understandably has proven to be difficult.
Senior night emotional for Markel Brown (The Oklahoman)
While much of the pre game attention given to the fact that Marcus Smart was walking with his teammates on Senior Night, it was a big night for Oklahoma State guard Markel Brown. Brown was understandably emotional and he went out with a win, as the Cowboys beat Kansas State to continue their charge towards an NCAA tournament berth.
Bertrand, Ekey looking back, ahead (Champaign News-Gazette)
Tuesday night Illinois will honor fifth-year seniors Joe Bertrand and Jon Ekey, two players who arrived in Champaign amidst different circumstances. While Bertrand’s been a part of the program all five seasons the same can’t be said for Ekey, a transfer from Illinois State. Both, who have moved from the starting lineup to reserve roles, reflected on their time in college.
Remembering Perfection (Sports on Earth)
On Saturday No. 2 Wichita State completed its regular season undefeated, becoming the first team since the 2003-04 Saint Joseph’s Hawks to finish the regular season without a loss. And looking back, those Hawks were incredibly good with the backcourt rotation of Jameer Nelson, Delonte West, Pat Carroll and Tyrone Barley leading the way. And like these Shockers the Hawks had many questioning their credentials, providing motivation for a group that would reach the Elite 8.
Cardinals, community embrace Shoni (ESPN)
The Louisville women, ranked third in the country, may not have had the best season-ending experience on Monday night as they fell 68-48 to No. 1 UConn. But that result did nothing to take away from the night for many who made the trek to watch the Cardinals on their Senior Night, with guard Shoni Schimmel being one of players honored. Shoni and younger sister Jude have had an incredible impact on the Native American community and the Louisville program as well during their time at the school.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)