Mar 5, 2014, 2:44 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: Providence 81, Marquette 80 2OT
Providence managed to survive a visit from Marquette in thrilling fashion, a double-overtime that featured big shots, costly turnovers, fouled three-point shooters and quite possibly the most exciting shot that never counted:
Bryce Cotton played all 50 minutes, finishing with 25 points, nine assists and seven boards and LaDontae Henton added 20 points and 16 boards.
1) Baylor 74, No. 16 Iowa State 61: Cory Jefferson went for 21 points, Kenny Chery had 16 points and six assists, and Brady Heslip added 18 as the Bears all but locked up an NCAA tournament bid by knocking off the Cyclones.
2) No. 12 Michigan 84, Illinois 53: The Illini hadn’t allowed more than 50 points in four games. Michigan scored 52 in the first half, knocking off Illinois 84-53 while hitting 16-for-23 from three. Illinois’ hopes for an NCAA tournament bid went ‘poof’ as Michigan locked up the Big Ten regular season title.
3) No. 25 Kentucky 55, Alabama 48: It wasn’t pretty, but the Wildcats got back to their winning ways by knocking off the Crimson Tide. Julius Randle finished with 12 points and 11 boards, but Kentucky still has some massive kinks that need to be worked out in the next ten days if they truly are going to have a chance to make noise in the Big Dance.
1) Michael Frazier II had 37 points and his 11-for-18 from three as No. 1 Florida knocked off South Carolina 72-46.
2) Markel Starks had 17 points and 11 assists and D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera added 18 points and 12 boards as Georgetown knocked off No. 13 Creighton.
3) Mike Moser continued his hot streak, hitting for 22 points and 17 boards as Oregon moved a step closer to an NCAA tournament bid with a win over Arizona State.
1) Trevor Cooney was 1-for-8 from three and 3-for-12 from the floor in No. 7 Syracuse’s 67-62 loss to Georgia Tech. He’s now shooting 31.3% from three in ACC play. If you take away the 9-for-12 that he shot in the win over Notre Dame, he’s shooting 26.7% from three in league play.
2) James Young shot 1-for-11 from the floor, the Harrisons combined to shoot 4-for-14 from the floor and the three of them combined to shoot 3-for-19 from three. No. 25 Kentucky still beat Alabama 55-48.
3) Melvim Ejim and Georges Niang combined for 10 points on 5-for-25 shooting — 0-for-9 from three — in No. 16 Iowa State’s loss at Baylor.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
The conference tournament will now span five days, with there being a doubleheader on Wednesday, March 11 (11 seed vs. 14 seed, 12 seed vs. 13 seed).
Aug 21, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
More than two months after his older brother left the football program, Mickey Mitchell has decided to decommit from Ohio State.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
6-foot-7 forward Kevin Puryear was a point forward for his high school team last season.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
The Toronto Blue Jays aren’t thrilled with Creighton filing an application to trademark its logo, which was unveiled last September.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:21 PM EDT
Rick Barnes entered last season on nearly every pundit’s “hot seat” rankings, only to turn things around and win 24 games.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Mo’ne Davis is currently focused on winning a LLWS title, but down the line she really wants to run the point at UConn.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Aaron McKie ranks sixth on Temple’s all-time scoring list, and he played 13 seasons in the NBA.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
UConn’s league schedule is only getting weaker. They need to beef up in the non-conference.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT
A quick explanation of why John Calipari can be a great coach without being a great x’s-and-o’s coach.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Do you agree with that ranking?
Aug 21, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
But would hiring Cremins be a way to get Anthony Johnson the job?
Aug 21, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
It is absolutely hilarious.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
Five points down, 2.8 seconds left, and victorious?
Aug 21, 2014, 9:34 AM EDT
Rozier will be the most important player for Louisville this season.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Redshirting helped Eli Carter as he looks to recover from a broken leg suffered in 2013, but he still isn’t at the level he was prior to the injury.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
According to reports Dominic Woodson will be enrolling at Tennessee in time for the start of classes Thursday.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Four-star shooting guard Terance Mann picked Florida State over Arizona State, Boston College, Indiana, Marquette and Rhode Island.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Curtis Malone is serving a 100-month sentence after pleading guilty to being a part of a drug ring that brought in $80,000 in profits per month.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
A report stated that a blood clot in Chai Baker’s leg may have resulted in his collapsing during a workout on Tuesday.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
Deville Smith averaged 9.7 points and 2.7 assists in 32 games last season, making 18 starts.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)