Mar 5, 2014, 1:29 AM EDT
There are 12 days left until Selection Sunday. Every morning from now until the bracket comes out, we’ll help you get caught up on the happenings with impact on the bubble from the night before.
Georgetown: The Hoyas landed a huge win over No. 13 Creighton on Tuesday night, one that gets them to within striking distance of the NCAA tournament. I still think they need to beat Villanova in Philly on Saturday, however. A loss there and a loss in the Big East tournament gives them 14 losses on the season. They have six top 50 wins, but those three sub 100 losses — including No. 221 Northeastern — hurt.
Baylor: Baylor was probably on the right side of the bubble entering Tuesday night, and a win over No. 16 Iowa State certainly helped. At this point, the Bears are probably safe now that they’ve won six of their last seven games. They probably want to pick up at least one more win just to be safe. A losing record in Big 12 play isn’t exactly flattering, but they have wins over Colorado and Kentucky that aren’t going anywhere.
Providence: The Friars sit squarely on the bubble, and after a thrilling, come-from-behind double-overtime win over Marquette, that won’t change. The Friars lack great wins, as Creighton and Xavier are their only top 50 wins, but they’re 8-9 against the top 100 and 7-7 away from The Dunk. Saturday is huge: they visit the Bluejays. A loss doesn’t hurt them, but a win would get them in.
Florida State: The Seminoles are somehow still in the conversation, and will remain that way after a close win over Boston College. Top 25 wins over VCU and UMass are nice, but their 5-10 record against the top 100 isn’t. They play Syracuse this weekend. The Orange are struggling and would be a great win. That would give Leonard Hamilton’s club a chance with a win or two in the ACC tournament.
Oregon: The Ducks likely locked up a tournament bid by knocking off Arizona State at home. That’s their third top 50 win and tenth top 100 win. with just two of their eight losses coming to teams outside the top 50. With the only game left on their regular season schedule coming against Arizona, Oregon should be OK even if they lose out, although a win in their first Pac-12 tournament game wouldn’t hurt.
Arizona State: After sweeping the Bay Area schools last week, the Sun Devils should be alright even with a road loss to Oregon as long as they don’t lose out. They have six top 50 wins and an 8-7 record against the top 100.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)