Mar 5, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
Maryland forward Charles Mitchell was removed from the bench and sent to the locker room before the first half of Tuesday night’s game against Virginia Tech.
Mitchell could be seen on the bench exchanging words with assistant coach Scott Spinelli, yanking his jersey off in the tunnel as he walked back into the locker room. According to Alex Prewitt of the Washington Post, Mitchell sat with special assistant Juan Dixon in the locker room even after the second half began, returning to the bench midway through the second half wearing warmups.
“I’m not going to get into details, but it was just something that just had to have some discipline involved,” head coach Mark Turgeon said after the game. “I asked him to go to the locker room.”
“I just met with Charles. You know, we’re going to sleep on it and we’re going to talk tomorrow. Charles and I will handle it. We don’t know yet.”
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4