Mar 5, 2014, 10:27 AM EDT
Xavier got some excellent news on Tuesday when it was announced that starting center Matt Stainbrook only strained his MCL.
Stainbrook landed awkwardly in Monday’s loss to Seton Hall, immediately grabbing his left knee and screaming in pain. It looked like the injury could be quite serious, but according to Xavier, he’s out for Saturday’s game with Villanova and will be listed as day-to-day after that.
“Everybody’s knee responds differently. We won’t know a whole lot,” head coach Chris Mack said. “Doctors certainly have not ruled him out from returning for the Big East tournament and hopefully beyond.”
The one potential problem here is that the next two games could end up determining Xavier’s bubble fate. If they lose to Villanova and lose in the first round of the Big East tournament, there is no guarantee that they will be dancing. And even though freshman big man Jalen Reynolds has been playing better of late, losing a guy that has started 30 games and averages 10.6 points and a team-high 7.8 rebounds certainly won’t make that easier.
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener (2)