Mar 5, 2014, 10:27 AM EDT
Xavier got some excellent news on Tuesday when it was announced that starting center Matt Stainbrook only strained his MCL.
Stainbrook landed awkwardly in Monday’s loss to Seton Hall, immediately grabbing his left knee and screaming in pain. It looked like the injury could be quite serious, but according to Xavier, he’s out for Saturday’s game with Villanova and will be listed as day-to-day after that.
“Everybody’s knee responds differently. We won’t know a whole lot,” head coach Chris Mack said. “Doctors certainly have not ruled him out from returning for the Big East tournament and hopefully beyond.”
The one potential problem here is that the next two games could end up determining Xavier’s bubble fate. If they lose to Villanova and lose in the first round of the Big East tournament, there is no guarantee that they will be dancing. And even though freshman big man Jalen Reynolds has been playing better of late, losing a guy that has started 30 games and averages 10.6 points and a team-high 7.8 rebounds certainly won’t make that easier.
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 14
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 9
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 71
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 17
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (71)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)