Mar 6, 2014, 4:28 PM EST
One day prior to his team beginning a run towards a third consecutive trip to the NCAA tournament, Iona head coach Tim Cluess has been rewarded with a contract extension through the 2018-19 season. Currently in his fourth season in New Rochelle, Cluess has won 90 games and led Iona to two MAAC regular season titles.
“The success Coach Cluess has had since arriving at Iona has been almost unprecedented,” Iona AD Rick Cole Jr. said in the release announcing the news. “We’re very excited to have him on board for at least another five years. His commitment to the overall success of his student-athletes is what makes Coach Cluess the right man for Iona.”
The Gaels won the MAAC regular season title this season, wrapping up at the very least a spot in the Postseason NIT. With that being the case Iona will make a postseason appearance in each of Cluess’ four seasons at the helm, and he’s also the first head coach in program history to begin his tenure with four straight 20-win seasons.
Iona will have to account for the loss of seniors such as Sean Armand, Tre Bowman and Mike Poole at the conclusion of the current season, but the Gaels will have enough talent back to contend in 2014-15. A.J. English, David Laury III and Isaiah Williams, all with eligibility remaining, have been key contributors this season.
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 2
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)