Mar 6, 2014, 4:28 PM EST
One day prior to his team beginning a run towards a third consecutive trip to the NCAA tournament, Iona head coach Tim Cluess has been rewarded with a contract extension through the 2018-19 season. Currently in his fourth season in New Rochelle, Cluess has won 90 games and led Iona to two MAAC regular season titles.
“The success Coach Cluess has had since arriving at Iona has been almost unprecedented,” Iona AD Rick Cole Jr. said in the release announcing the news. “We’re very excited to have him on board for at least another five years. His commitment to the overall success of his student-athletes is what makes Coach Cluess the right man for Iona.”
The Gaels won the MAAC regular season title this season, wrapping up at the very least a spot in the Postseason NIT. With that being the case Iona will make a postseason appearance in each of Cluess’ four seasons at the helm, and he’s also the first head coach in program history to begin his tenure with four straight 20-win seasons.
Iona will have to account for the loss of seniors such as Sean Armand, Tre Bowman and Mike Poole at the conclusion of the current season, but the Gaels will have enough talent back to contend in 2014-15. A.J. English, David Laury III and Isaiah Williams, all with eligibility remaining, have been key contributors this season.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)