Mar 6, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
No. 4 Duke lost to Wake Forest on Wednesday night, 82-72, but the bigger concern after the game was the fact that head coach Mike Krzyzewski didn’t make it to the postgame press conference.
According to Duke, Coach K was dealing with lightheadedness and dizziness throughout the game. At one point during a timeout, it was bad enough that he had to take a knee. The trainer rushed over to the Duke bench, according to Laura Keeley of the Raleigh News & Observer.
He’s expected to make a full recovery, but after the game, it was associate head coach Steve Wojciechowski that handled the presser.
North Carolina head coach Roy Williams has dealt with vertigo for a while, experiencing dizzy spells on the sideline when he gets too worked up.
Here’s the statement from Duke:
“Coach Krzyzewski experienced lightheadedness during and after the Duke-Wake Forest game on Wednesday night. Following the contest, he was examined by Duke medical personnel on site and again at Duke University Hospital for precautionary tests upon returning to Durham. His symptoms and condition have improved considerably, and Coach Krzyzewski was sent home during the early morning hours on Thursday.”
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)