Mar 6, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
In what has been a tough season for South Carolina (11-19, 4-13 SEC), the Gamecocks will conclude regular season play on Saturday without their head coach. On Thursday South Carolina announced that Frank Martin has been suspended for one game due to “inappropriate verbal communication” with a player.
“The one-game suspension is a result of inappropriate verbal communication as it relates to the well-being of our student-athletes,” South Carolina AD Ray Tanner said in the release.
The school did not offer up any specifics in the statement with regards to the actual incident in question. During the Gamecocks’ loss to No. 1 Florida on Tuesday night, Martin was caught on camera berating freshman Duane Notice during a timeout. Martin appears to demand that Notice “answer the (expletive) question, you (expletive)!”
Associate head coach Matt Figger will serve as acting head coach on Saturday, and a win over the Bulldogs would keep the Gamecocks out of last place ahead of next week’s SEC tournament.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)