Mar 6, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
In what has been a tough season for South Carolina (11-19, 4-13 SEC), the Gamecocks will conclude regular season play on Saturday without their head coach. On Thursday South Carolina announced that Frank Martin has been suspended for one game due to “inappropriate verbal communication” with a player.
“The one-game suspension is a result of inappropriate verbal communication as it relates to the well-being of our student-athletes,” South Carolina AD Ray Tanner said in the release.
The school did not offer up any specifics in the statement with regards to the actual incident in question. During the Gamecocks’ loss to No. 1 Florida on Tuesday night, Martin was caught on camera berating freshman Duane Notice during a timeout. Martin appears to demand that Notice “answer the (expletive) question, you (expletive)!”
Associate head coach Matt Figger will serve as acting head coach on Saturday, and a win over the Bulldogs would keep the Gamecocks out of last place ahead of next week’s SEC tournament.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)